AR-556 front site post

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Picked up one of these on a rare impulse buy.

Would you paint the front site post or is there a brightly colored replacement available somewhere?

My eyes aren't as young as they used to be.

hittman

Staff member
Hey thanks! That was too easy ..... you can tell I have about zero AR experience. I'll have to check out the local stores to see if these are available without a shipping fee.

Thanks again.

hittman

Staff member
You're probably right about the site ...... a neighbor guy who always complains about being broke put some high-fangled $400.00 site or scope on his with a square thingy you look through ....... it was really cool to look through and bet it works great but I can't spend $400.00 for a site/scope on a $600.00 gun. :lol:

Trucker

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
... I can't spend $400.00 for a site/scope on a $600.00 gun. :lol:

Don't blame you. I'm on a tight budget too. really tight!

A red dot sight that works really well can be had for less than $100.00. I can't and won't speak for all of 'em but the one I got works great and I love it. Target acquisition is almost instantaneous. The old eyes don't have to line up three different objects ... rear sight, front sight, and target. Look through the lens at the target with both eyes open ... don't even think about the red dot. Look at the target the red dot will be there! If you're trying to light matches it may take a squint or two. But shooting center mass is effortless. The perfect prescription for my old eyes!! Can't imagine shooing without it now that I have it!

Works great in bright sunlight or dark cloudy days. Absolutely fantastic on a moonless night.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I added a cheap red dot and witnessed it with a Tru Glo front sight. fiber optic and tritium in case the battery dies, and sometimes just because. shot out to 100 yards this week with good results for a geezer and bifocals.
I needed a 3/4 inch riser to mount and witness the red dot. came together well and for what I intend this is as good as it will likely get at my age. really about as much fun as an old man can have with clothes on.

1rebel

Bearcat
The best one I have found for the money is sight mark pro shot 4 reticle red dot sight got mine at Wally World for 79 bucks