AR-556 Coyote Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsbam69

Hunter
I had a serial number in the last batch of AR-556 rifles catch my eye, so decided to keep one. I've been thinking it might make a handy truck gun, but have never fooled with an AR15 until lately, so it's been a learning experience. Once I figured out that all AR parts are not created equal as with anything else, and that it doesn't take many heavy parts on one to make a dang heavy rifle quick, I think I've finally got to where I want to be through much trial and error. It CAN be made lighter, but it's just right for me. MOE fixed stock, but set out with a new bolt hole drilled across the rail to keep it rock solid and 11.5" stock length for me, Hogue grip w/finger grooves and beavertail, 10rd PMAG, TPS aluminum rings & the lightest ballistic 600 yard reticle 3-9x40 scope I could find in the $100ish range, YHM lightweight KeyMod 9.3" handguard with YHM's smallest gas block and black tube, and last but not least, a Geissele SSA-E trigger. The rifle weighs in at 7.6# as pictured empty weight, and is still just a hair under 8# with the 10rd PMAG loaded. I am itching to get it out and see how it does at 100 and beyond. It shoots all holes touching at 35 yards with Federal 55 grain softpoints, so it oughta make a fine coyote culler for the truck or to carry either one I'm thinkin.

Black Barbie in her evening attire :mrgreen: She's thinking about dressing A2 style for next week 8)

gunsbam69

Hunter
I went with the Bushnell Trophy XLT with the DOA 600 reticle. I've got it sighted for standard 200 yard zero at the moment, but it'll be sumthin to play with and see if I like. High end binos I appreciate, but have never spent more than $150 on a scope so far. I found some of Remington's Hog Hammer with the 62 grain TSX for $22 a box shipped so bought some to try out. Been cruising around AR15.com and noticing a few guys who kill a LOT of big hogs are doing so with the 62 and 70 grain TSX in their AR rifles. The one who seems to kill the most looks to have gone to the 70 pretty much, and the performance of that bullet appears to be beyond impressive, especially for the weight and speed it's running at leaving the barrel. I've got brass and primers, so once I've got the time I'm going to start working with the 70 TSX and see what it's all about. Some guys are saying it'll run in a 1-8 and some are saying 1-7, so time'll tell. I sold my best friend from high school an AR-556 a few weeks before I kept mine. He has several very high end AR rifles, and at first he just said it'd make a good one to keep around the house and that it was neat to have one from Ruger. A couple weeks later he called and told me he was tearing one ragged hole at 100 yards with it using the 77 OTM, and he's now begun redressing his "Cheap Black Barbie" in Magpul clothes etc. That bullet isn't near as long as the 70 TSX though. The 70 jus barely fits in an AR Mag.

gunsbam69

Hunter
All Milspec. I cross bolt the milspec MOE fixed stocks at 11.5" long for me for a rock solid fixed stock at my LOP instead of the way they were designed to be used. The pic below is how the fixed MOE is "supposed" to be used :mrgreen: