Approximate value on these Ruger 357's?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Engine49guy

Bearcat
Hello everyone,
I am a new member but not new to Rugers.
My first rifle was a bicentennial 10/22 , Still have it as well as one in 44 magnum.
I picked up a SS Vaquero unfired with box and docs about 99% perfect no drag ring on the cylinder appears unfired. finish is very high polish SS sn# is 58-65XXX
Ruger1.jpg

would appreciate any advice what is a good asking price?

FXWG

Bearcat
My only advice is to keep that one that you can shoot better.
Not much help, but that is what I would do.

Engine49guy

Bearcat
I suppose I worded that part weird,
I like the square butt and wood grips on the Blackhawk better, But
I like the older styling of the vaquero much better.
Does anyone make a wood grip that converts the round butt vaquero to a square butt? Or would I have to sell both and get a different model?
Are these about the same on the desirability scale?
Is $400 each is about their value? Higher? Lower?

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
You could swap the grip frames so that the vaquero had the standard grip, then sell the blackhawk. I would suggest keeping both, but that is because I have a problem parting with guns.

Engine49guy

Bearcat
I know alot about SS&W modern hand ejectors but Nothing about Ruger single actions.
I had no idea frames could be interchanged.
If I do make the round butt Vaquero a square butt will the blcakhawk be an oddball with the roundbutt or were Blackhawks available with roundbutts?
Again sorry for my lack of knowledge but this is how one learns...
BTW, Update. The Vaquero is unfired except one cylinder from the factory still has the powder mark.
The Blackhawk polished out 100% , The cylinder was so clean I am certain it hasnt even had 1 box of ammo run through it.

I am going through a S&W fase,
Is $400 too high an asking price for each of these?

Bones507

Bearcat
Well Engine guy, you can always go to gunsamerica.com and see what they are asking for them on there. I personally dont see a problem with $400, hell im thinking of getting a new Vaquero myself and its going for $485 plus shipping plus background check, so i think if you could sell it locally for $400 its a good deal.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
$400 sounds like a good price to me. If you want the regular plow handle grip on the Vaquero you can always put up a "want to trade" in the classifieds. Shoot, I would almost be tempted to trade you grip frames and put it on my 44 Vaquero. I have a short barreled 45 Vaquero with the birdshead and I really like it.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
For the blackhawk its about $250 to $350. For the Vaquero $350 to $450. The box and original paperwork helps on the Vaquero.

Hope that helps
roaddog

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Waitasec...that "Vaquero" is a 4.68" barrel, large frame, 357, standard base pin head with Bird's Head? Could that be stock, a distributor special or something?

I though the bird's head variants in the large frame came with the shorter barrels? Could this be a custom?

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Jim,
As I recall that is the standard Ruger configuration for the .357 Birds Head. The stock .45's were 3.75" barrel and short head base pin. However Acusport had some .45's done up with the 4.625" barels and regular base pins. Which is what I have to match the wife's .357.

Dana

Engine49guy

Bearcat
After seeing other members Birdsheads with Black grips.....
Its starting to grow on me.....
Maybe It aint so bad after all.

If you're starting to like the black grips on Vaquero Birdsheads, I'll trade
a pair of factory black micarta grips for your white grips. I really like
the look of white grips on brite stainless.

Shawn :D

adanymous

Bearcat
Im not terribly sure about the vaquero, Id have to sit up and grab my BB, but Im way too lazy for that. The blackhawk on the other hand would be well underpriced at $400. Unless you wanna sell it on the internet, then the gentleman who said $250-$350 is right.

I sold my blackhawk, identical to yours, last week at a gunshow for $525 however, I am a dealer. I wouldnt sell it for $250, but if you would, dont be afraid to let me know :D

Engine49guy

Bearcat
adanymous":3ujtzee6 said:
The blackhawk on the other hand would be well underpriced at $400. Unless you wanna sell it on the internet, then the gentleman who said $250-$350 is right.
:D

Im actually more into trading than selling lately .
I thought people sold on the internet to get more $$ for used guns they were selling?

PS..
Professor Cassidy, let me think about trading grips .
I like the black grips better but havent decided what Im keeping or selling yet.
If you want you can email some pictures of them in the meen time..

Engine49guy

Bearcat
Reviving this Lazarus post after cleaning out the safe and discovering the SS Vaquero with box and docs sn# is 58-65XXX hiding in the back.
Ruger1.jpg

Any idea what they are worth nowadays ?

ADP3

Single-Sixer
There were very few birdhead .357 Vaqueros made, and not a whole lot of original Vaqueros in .357. They were the only birdheads with a 4 5/8" barrel to my knowledge. The other birdhead original Vaqueros were in .45 Colt, Blue and Stainless versions, with 3 1/2" barrels. A NIB Vaquero in almost any configuration is $600+ these days. I wouldn't be surprised to see yours go for $800 to the collector that needs that version. What handicaps it is also what makes it uncommon. It's a .357. Most shooters these days will buy a New Vaquero if they want .357, and most collectors/shooters of original Vaqueros prefer .44 mag or .45 Colt.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Engine49guy

Bearcat
Thank you for the reply, dug a little deeper in the safe and found another one in case color...

Slenk

Single-Sixer
Here guns like yours will sell for $550 either one. I was in my LGS the other day and saw them the shop pay a guy $460 each for the same guns. Only difference was the Vaquero had the standard grip.

yes, I recent;y sold a couple of guns the same as yours, as well as a few more of similar variations and they all sold for $550 and up in our area for the Vaqueros, and just below $500 for the stainless Blackhawk....NICE guns 8) :roll: :wink:

Latest posts