Appreciation of the NM's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Does anyone ever stop and take time to appreciate the engineering genius that went into the New Model Blackhawk Lockwork?

Some people badmouth it, it seems, but really, it's a helluva system.

Even more so that they maanged to make essentially the same sytem work for the Old Model Safety Conversions.

RonEgg

Blackhawk
I prefer the OM, but you are right, took some real good thinking to come up with the change.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Yeah, old Bill Ruger put on his thinking cap and went to work looking for a fix that didn't have a problem to go with.

The NM Blackhawk action exists only because it's in a Ruger. Had someone else come up with it they'd be out of business.

As for the retro fit corruption it's an abomination that didn't need to exist. Ruger's Old Model action was the pinnacle of single action designs. Everything since has been a downhill slide.

Can you tell I only own Old Model Rugers???

I owned two New Models back in the mid 70s and they were nothing but trouble. That cured me of that. Never owned one since.

Joe

hutchman

Blackhawk
I have 7 New Models and like them for what they are........great quality at a reasonable price. Are they better than an Old Model...........don't know, I have never owned an OM. There will forever be the argument over which is better, but from my view point they are just different.

Would I buy an OM.........you betcha. Will I sell my NMs someday after owning some OMs.......don't know for sure but my bet is these NMs that I have now will be given to my kids when I am gone..along with whatever I happen to accumulate between now and then!

flatgate

Hawkeye
I have both versions in my collection. Some are "safe queens" and some are shooters. I feel like I'm carrying an "indestructible" revolver when I have a NM holstered.... :D

flatgate

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
The NM lockwork was one of the beginning "idiot proofing" ideas to sweep the gun world. One of the better ones IMO, and with shooting sports becoming ever-more-popular, and lawyers looking to swindle a buck, the trend was bound to happen.

Nothing at all wrong with it, IMO. I have several, and love them every one. They're user-grade guns, made to be handled, carried, shot, and appreciated for their longevity through adverse conditions during long days afield and hard use.

There's no other handgun that fits my needs for a field gun quite so well.

Fstu;

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Funny you would post this Aggie.

Just earlier this week I as having this exact discussion with a fellow shooter. I told him exactly what you said, what an amazing design.

Just imagine, if the OM was all we had, and one of the well known "smiths" came up with this system to allow safe carry of 6 rounds. I bet there would be a lot of folks sending them guns for the modification.

I like them both.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
As an engineer I can certainly appreciate the elegance of a design that not only solves the problem at hand and endures for 35+ years, but can also be retrofitted into older models. That is quite an accomplishment.

-- Sam

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
The NM works for me, and works and works and works.

Some folks prefer the OM or the Colt Python because that is what works for them. That's OK for them, but give me a NM any time.

I've got a couple of OMs and flat tops and they are certainly nice guns in their own way but they mostly stay in the safe.

The transfer bar is a great idea and contributes to my piece of mind when I carry in the field. I've taken my share of spills and lost control of a couple of guns in the precess. There is nothing that gets your attention faster than tumbling head over heels down a hill and seeing your gun bouncing down after you. :shock:
A NM can make this somewhat less of a religious experience.

Jack

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Old model Rugers are right scarce in my area. In the gun shops I've frequented I've never even seen one yet. I'm still looking though so some day I can start a post with, "While I was shooting my old model .45 the other day", but until that day comes I'm right happy to have my NMs. :lol:

tek4260

Buckeye
I own both and don't particularly have a preference. I do wish they would come back out with the recessed chambers and possibly longer cylinders without as much barrel shank exposed.

alienbogey

Bearcat
Old Models for me, and only Old Models.

When I got my first one my buddy and I did blindfolded trigger tests with our identical Old and New Models. We could pick out the Old Model every time for the lighter, crisper, more precise trigger.

Give me an Old Model with 5 loaded and hammer down on an empty chamber, just as God and Colonel Colt intended.

If the 6th round in the chamber is important to you, go ahead and compromise and get a New Model.

8)

gak

Buckeye
Yes, 6 safe rounds "without thinking" in a working/trail gun is important to me, an "advancement" in gun technology and why I have and do appreciate the NMs in all their forms. I love and can tell, viscerally/aesthetically prefer the difference right off with the OM's action, but is why I also have a "4th" gen Colt SAA, and an antiqued Cimarron and USFA when I've just got to have that "just-so" feeling--and then I do (really) pay attention. All this latter group .44 Specials by the way. The Ruger NMs are what go "serious" workin'/campin'/trailin'/huntin' with me though, unless I also want a 4-click (snick) to play--unloaded--with by the campfire. Some day, I too hope to own--and maybe .44 convert--an OM "just because," but for now feel happy with the NMs..."bulletproof" or "idiotproof," however you want to characterize them.

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I only own "new models". I would certainly like to have an original Super or Blackhawk, but not so much for the action but for the original's recessed cylinder. For what it's worth I was taught to use a single action from an uncle who schooled me on a Colt SAA. I STILL only carry 5 in the cylinder to this day. Even on new models. Open the gate insert one, skip one then load four more. Close the gate, cock the gun and slowly let the hammer down. Lined up properly it will be on the empty charge hole. Just a habit. Might end up with a real single action and don't ever want to forget.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I love them both for what they are and own lots of examples of each. Ten New Models and thirteen traditional guns at last count. The New Model action is an excellent design and easily modified. It does have some design quirks but those can be remedied. IMHO, a New Model big bore (.41 - .500) Bisley with a packable barrel length and adjustable sights is nearing on perfection for most purposes.

However, for the most part I have to agree with Joe Miller. The Old Models (and other traditional guns) are the quintessential sixgunner's sixgun. They are those that I use the most and prefer. For the folks that grew up with these guns, there is no substitute.

The New Models are certainly NOT junk. Anybody who states so because they had a little problem with a $30 basepin would be well on their way to getting a personal comment about their intelligence out of me.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
CraigC":3icr8wlg said:
...The New Models are certainly NOT junk. Anybody who states so because they had a little problem with a $30 basepin would be well on their way to getting a personal comment about their intelligence out of me. ...
Not to mention that it doesn't contribute to the "friendly tone" of this forum...

It never ceases to amaze me how people think anything other than "their" preference is not only wrong, but stupid, uninformed, the other guy doesn't know any better, etc, etc. Yep, there's only ever one way to do anything, and it's theirs.

BTW, I'd love to own an OM, but considering the prices I've seen, I'd almost rather spend a couple hundred more and get a USFA, or maybe even a used SAA. I've already got a Freedom Arms if I want to load at half-cock. ;)

-- Sam