Applies to Illinois Only

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I think I have posted this before but I will repost. I am sick and tired of seeing my fellow gun owners in Illinois getting screwed.

This only applies to Illinois gun owners.

#1 You can buy magazines and gun parts directly from any out of state company or individual that wants to sell you those items. Today I saw a guy get told that he could only order a slug barrel for his Mossburg from a FFL dealer. Those living in the Chicago land area do have to worry about the different communities that limit mag capacity to 10 rounds.

#2 You are allow to purchase ammo from any out of state dealer willing to sell to you. Some companies like Cabelas, Buds Gun Shop and J&G Sales will require a photocopy of your FOID card and they will only ship to the address on the FOID card but they will ship. Most companies could care less about your FOID. Some companies like CDNN Investments will not sell ammo unless you hold an FFL in Illinois because they are scared of Chicago.

#3 Do not let anyone tell you otherwise, a FOID card is only an invention of the Great State of Chicago rammed down the throat of Illinois in 1968. You can walk into any gun store in all states except NY, MA and CA and purchase ammo while on vacation. You do need to have the card on your person if you wish to bring the ammo back into Illinois.

#4 You can purchase black powder firearms from any out of state dealer and or individual that is willing to sell to you (see #2).

In the past week traveling around the state I have seen someone lie telling a guy that Glock mags were $59.99 because of the Illinois FOID tax. Another man was told that he could only buy ammo from an FFL dealer in the state. Winchester 9mm was $49.99 at that dealer. My favorite was the dealer that told a man that the slug barrel for the Mossberg would have to have a special $50.00 registration fee (as per the state) over the already retail price of the barrel.

Please do not let some crooks screw you out of your hard earned money. Call the NRA help line if you have any questions. State Police loves it when dealers give out wrong information.

72Flattop

Bearcat
Yep it is painful living under the Chitown influence here. I do understand the local laws so I can navigate the BS. I always liked when my Missouri hunting partner could buy ammo anywhere here, just show his MO driver's license. The locals need to apply, pay for and wait for the FOID card.

For non-Illinois'ers reading this ... FOID (Firearm Owner Identification). We are registered users here in the state. This card is required for firearms and ammunition purchase and handling for residents of Illinois. The card is issued by the IL State Police following a background check, now lasts 10 years, and costs $10.

hawkeye

Bearcat
If remember right, FOID was supposed to make us "safer". This a good lesson for others (non-Illinois) to learn from. That lesson is that all this FOID BS has done nothing to reduce crime in the state of Illinois. Idiots like Daley keep jamming this stuff down our throats but all it has done is give all the law-abiding folks a pain in the rear and a reason to buy ammo somewhere else. Rant -off :roll:

Latest posts