Anyone use Underwood ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hvacmedic

Single-Sixer
Just curious if anybody has used Underwood ammo and how you liked it. Thinking about trying some .45 colt loads. Their prices look good compared to other specialty makers out there.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
hvacmedic said:
Just curious if anybody has used Underwood ammo and how you liked it. Thinking about trying some .45 colt loads. Their prices look good compared to other specialty makers out there.

Yep. Been buying .41 mag XTP from them for about 3 years. Great stuff and excellent customer service. :D They use a flash suppressed powder and new Starline brass (at least for the .41), loaded somewhat hotter than the standard loads (compare the ballistics with Federal, etc.). Very consistent performance.

Don't know about the .45, but if you call or email they'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Mus408

Hunter
Yes been using it for a few years until I started reloading. Very good ammo at a fair price and he has .45 Colt in loads you won't find at your LGS.

Zorba

Bearcat
I'll have to Google that - makes me think of a typewriter with keys made from (expended) shells! :mrgreen:

Mus408

Hunter
hvacmedic said:
Well I've got some .45 Colt +P and .38 +P on the way so we shall see how it does for me.

I have some 250 gr. XTP .45 Colt+P ammo from them and it is hot stuff rated at 1450 FPS!
Don't know what it was tested in to get that speed. I think the new stuff is rated at 1400.
I shot a few out of my Rossi 1892 Mares Leg and it do kick a bit!
Will save the ones I have for my Alaskan...of course when it ever gets here.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
hvacmedic said:
I ordered the 300 grain XTP. Prolly going to have some punch as well!

If my experience with buying from Underwood is any guide, you should have it in your hands by early next week. Be sure to give us a range report, and maybe some pics. :)