Anyone use any of those Buffalo Bore +P+ rounds?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G2

Hunter
Yes, they work and are stout!! I have some 45 colt and have run them thru SR Alaskan 454/45 and I think they are very close to 454 in recoil.
Don't wory you won't want to put alot :shock: down the tube.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
It would be fun to try out a couple boxes of these. However, they aint cheap! A person could load up some hot/heavy reloads and get pretty much the same results (if not better results) but at 1/10th of the cost of the ones which you have mentioned. BB is a good company with a great product....I'm not trying to slam them or anything. There are just other ways to make your SRH go BOOM that won't break the bank....that's all.

Let us know how they shoot if you do decide to try them out, though.

That is what I carry and shoot in my guns. I require good stout loads that will not only punch through an animal but break bones on the way. I use the 325 gr LBT HC in both 44 Mag and 45 Colt. I use the 45 Colt in my SRH Alaskan, instead of 454, I have confidence that it will perform should the time come up to need it. I have the same confidence in the 44 mag. I've talked to Tim Sundles on a number of occasions and he is a gentleman and very knowledgeable on his product. I think shooting your personal reloads for practice is a good thing, but unless you do the additional crimp process you are risking having a round jumping the crimp. Many of you have seen the picture and read the story of the guy on the Kenai last year that shot a bear with his 454 Alaskan. He's lucky he didn't need the last round as it had jumped the crimp and tied his revolver up. I also use his 430 gr LBT HC, 45-70 in my guide gun Marlin 1895. Just prudent when you come up on things that bite or stomp. IMO YMMV

maxpress

Buckeye
handloader had an article this month about the redhawk and loads for it. these are under what they were loading so im sure they will be safe.

WOW sticker shOck.

Stiofan

Bearcat
I carry them in my BH .41Mag and GP100 .357Mag, as well as my Marlin .45-70 1895.

I honestly haven't found them to be that much more stout in recoil, then again I've never been that recoil sensitive.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
I think shooting your personal reloads for practice is a good thing, but unless you do the additional crimp process you are risking having a round jumping the crimp.

No disrespect intended, but shooting the load you're going to hunt with is important.

The only load I've ever had "jump crimp" was factory Cor-Bon stuff. I solved that by running them through my die before I carried/shot any more of them.

By shooting the handloads you're going to hunt with, you should know what to expect from them. I know BB and Cor-Bon make great ammo, and I have a lot of respect and confidence in their products, but I also consider my handloads to be second to none.

And I've shot enough of them over the years to k now what to expect when I pull the trigger. I'd expect no less of them hunting deer, bears, or at the range. They perform the same way no matter where I'm at.

I would NOT switch to Cor-Bon or BB without shooting a bunch through the gun I was going to use them in first. Practice with what you're going to use, and you'll know what to expect.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
340 grains at 1423 fps sounds pretty hefty. You might want to call Ruger and consider what they have to say.

greyhawk

Bearcat
I bought some +p for the .38 spl. At the time, all I had were older S&W and I was afraid they would damage the guns. BUT.....now I have a RUGER and may get some more.....

tek4260

Buckeye
Am I the only one who doesn't like the thought of "mass produced" ammo, loaded to the ragged edge of acceptable pressure in my revolver? Have you ever shot factory ammo across a chrony? Lot of variance in velocity, and therefore pressure. Just a bit too spooky for me...

P.S. I bet you can load the same thing for less than $8 or so a box! Plus if you throw them light and trickle up to weight on a good scale they will be more accurate. It's worth the time and effort when you shoot a cylinder full across the chrony and have less than 10fps spread in velocity.

maxpress

Buckeye
i would think that if i was going to shoot factory ammo, then i would shoot buffalobore over remington or winchester. i just think the micro-makers are there because they do pay more attention.

kinda like A&W and lost trail root beer. the micro is just superior because they can watch every step.

this is IF i would shoot factory ammo

smokehouse

Bearcat
Some good replies here, thanks fellas.

I did contact Ruger and I'm waiting a reply, I'll post it up when they reply.

I don't reload at the moment but will soon...I have a giant pile of 9mm brass as well as a mounting pile of .44 mag so I'm ready to start...once I drop the $$ to get the reloading stuff that is.

I agree with the micro/macro maker idea. I' more comfortable with a hot Buffalo Bore round than a hot Winchester or Remington...like many have said, shooting quite a bit of 9mm, .45 Auto and .33 over the past few years...those brands are spotty at best. I've notices a large difference in Remington .44 mag loads in the one box I shot through (50 rounds). Some a re down right flame throwers, some a puffs...not good. On a semi related note, Fiocchi 240gr JSP has been clean, accurate and stable so far (100rds). At $25/50rds I can't complain about the price either.

I'm getting a chronograph soon as these spotty loads are driving me nuts...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Do you trust made-up cartridge designations ?? No such thing as 44magnum+P+ ammo. What pressure is that supposed to be ?? They probably use a slower powder that will give a lot more velocity in a long barred gun. Like a full load of H-110. ....just my opinion.
Ruger will tell you that their guns are safe for SAAMI spec ammo.

...Jimbo

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
Tim Sundles spent a year and a half developing that 340 gr load.It is rated for the SBH and the Redhawk is stronger and can handle it easily.I am used to some stout loads as I shoot .475 and .500 Linebaughs,.454's,heavy BB ammo in .45 Colts etc.That +P+ 340 gr load of Buffalo Bore's is nasty.There is nothing like it out there for the .44 mag.For most people,the 305 gr load would be plenty ad most of my hunting with the .44,is with that load.It is a good one.The +P+,340 gr .44 load is within a hair's breath of .454 ballistics.It is a serious load for serious business-not for fun.When you touch one of those off,you will know it.

Tim Sundles is a no nonsense guy that knows his business.He gives specifics on which loads work in which guns and he has thoroughly tested them beforhand.

That 340 gr +P+ load takes the .44 to a whole 'nother level but it isn't for everyone.

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
Brian Pierce has a pretty in depth write-up on the +P .44 Mag (for use in Redhawks) in the current edition of Handloader.

I think it's worth a read for the .44 Mag fans out there.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Brian Pearce's article in the new Handloader is excellent. Personally, before I bought a bunch of super-expensive ammo, I'd get me a basic reloading kit.

I must also point out there Hodgdon has data for 330gr and 355gr cast bullets up to 1350fps and 1250fps respectively. All under 40,000CUP. More than 3500CUP less than the initial industry standard of 43,500CUP. Safe for any .44Mag if it has enough cylinder length. Though I'd use them sparingly in S&W's....if they fit.

smokehouse

Bearcat
Well...got my reply:

"All of our firearms are designed to handle all US Industry Standard Ammunition made to SAMMI Spec. We recommend that you contact Buffalo Bore, they would have done testing for this model."

About what I expected them to say...since BB tests their ammo so much
and states they're within SAMMI specs...I'm getting a box. I'm not going to simply sport shooting with these, I just want to try them out...one box will be plenty for me...around 5 rounds to see where they are shooting and the rest will go in my ammo can for later use.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and opinions...it's highly welcomed.

Latest posts