Anyone still carry an LC9 or an EC9S?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I find them to be good guns. Highly reliable and Ergonomic. 7+1 sure beats a 5 shooter.
Problem is I've succumbed to the higher capacity theory. With all the new micro guns, hard to justify a slightly smaller gun with less capacity. But it does feel good in the hand. Just picked up another EC9S for a real good price. $250, with 2 full boxes of ammo. According to the stickers $55 worth of ammo, one box FMJ one box of good hp's. Basically I paid $200 for the gun. Guess I'll call it my NY reload. Can't have too many untrackable firearms. Just my opinion of course. Means nothing.

KIR

Sparks, NV
LC(9 had a terrible trigger. Took forever for it to go off and was pulling the trigger upwards to fire.
Sold it quick. Worst gun I ever had, until I asked my son for a Jennings J-22 pocket pistol for my B-Day. Fired a magazine's worth, cleaned it and it is now a safe queen. Just like the looks of it with its tapered nose.

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I keep an LC9 in a BOB along with a hundred extra rounds and 4 extra mags.
It's my "just in case gun". In case of what, I don't know but I have a lot more
guns than sense so I don't miss it but I do trust it to function every time I
pull the trigger.
Dano

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I carry the LC9s and the gun is more accurate than I can expect it to be. I will take it to the range with 4 or 5 of my full size autos just to give them some exercise and I will run 3 mags through the LC9s and it shoots as well as the others, it was a pleasant surprise when I first shot it because it's so accurate.

4896worker

Bearcat
LC9 is my edc pocket iwb it goes everywhere with me . Long heavy trigger reminds me of double action revolver. Had to put some Xs big dots on it b cause of old eyes .
I like the smith profile and 7 plus 1 capacity .
Has been 100 reliable with probably 1000 rounds thew it in last 9 years

2Afan50

Bearcat
The EC9s......hmmmmm. I'll start by saying I paid $200.00 for this gun in 2018. This was before the high capacity micro 9s started to come out. I thought it would be much smaller than the PT111 I was carrying at the time, and would be easier to conceal. Come to find out the second I got it, they were similar in size in the dimensions I was most concerned about, so huge disappointment there. Also, why go from 12+1 to 7+1? OK, so that's the 1st regret, on to #2. It's extremely uncomfortable to hold, let alone shoot. The thin part of the grip that goes into the thumb pad is harsh compared to almost any other 9mm I have held. I put a Hogue on it, but now it's just a bit thicker and less slippery, still not anything anyone would want to shoot for more that 25 rounds. #3, the trigger is absolutely horrible, and remember, this is coming from someone carrying a PT111 at the time. It's stiff, has an uncomfortable face and the reset is about 3 miles long......ridiculous in every way. #4 is a personal finding that some may relate to. It was extremely rare that I got through an entire magazine (only 7 rounds) without a failure to fully eject. I got to the point where I anticipated this mishap so well, I looked like a firearms instructor giving lessons on how to get back in the fight. Ruger looked at the gun 3 times, returning it to me each time with no issues found. Hmmmmm. I had many people shoot it to see if it was me. The problem existed with everyone, except the sharpshooters at Ruger of course. #5 and maybe the most frustrating (yes, even beyond the constant disruption in cycling) is the slide "lock". It is truly a slide "LOCK" as that's all it does. For some ridiculous reason, it is made to only lock the slide back, NOT to RELEASE the slide! Wow, that's different......and absurd. I'm sure there may be other guns out there with this "feature", I'll be sure and stay away from them as well. Now we come to #6, disassembly. Can we make this MORE difficult and time consuming? It has a mag lock.....really???? Why??? 99% of all handguns don't. So if you want to clean this one, make sure you have a magazine or the dummy mag they give you when you do it. I love having extra non necessary parts to store, don't you? Also, the mag lock is for "safety" I'm told. Having to have a mag in the well to clean it means an opportunity to not see a round in the mag as you do that. Safety? No, just inconvenience and more unnecessary work. Now the kicker. Glock figured this out many years ago, and most other companies have similarly adopted the slide removal process. If you own one of these door stops, you know there is a tiny pin that will eventually roll off the table into the infinity abyss never to be seen again that holds the slide in place. Not only that, you need a "tool" of some kind (which Ruger doesn't provide, I use a straightened out paperclip) to push the pin out.
I'm trying to figure out why this type of gun was made, what purpose did it serve that wasn't being addressed on the market. Maybe there was a woefully low supply of low capacity, uncomfortable to shoot, lack of common and expected features, and ridiculously complicated system of disassembly pistols on the market at that time, and Ruger saw the opportunity. If that's the case, bravo Ruger, you nailed it. (Aside from the price difference, I have a buddy with the LC9 who has identical beefs. He's more aggravated because he paid over $100 more for his).
I have shot other Rugers, and found them all to be just fine. The Mini 14, an AR15, 10/22 the 5.7, and a couple other 9mm pistols, and they all seemed to be excellent firearms. I don't know what features they had or didn't have, but they at least felt and fired just fine. I might buy another Ruger in the future, but it would only be a rifle.
The failure to eject was a specific issue I experienced with my "particular" pistol, but all the other issues I stated are ubiquitous with this thing regardless of what your serial number is. Currently, I wear it OWB in my yard and have 9mm shotshell in it for snakes and varmints. After about 3 months of wearing it, the entire right side of the slide has rusted as well as internal areas of the slide. Not worth doing anything about it, just a visual reminder of what a worthless dinosaur it is.

The EC9s......hmmmmm...
...The failure to eject was a specific issue I experienced with my "particular" pistol, but all the other issues I stated are ubiquitous with this thing regardless of what your serial number is. Currently, I wear it OWB in my yard and have 9mm shotshell in it for snakes and varmints. After about 3 months of wearing it, the entire right side of the slide has rusted as well as internal areas of the slide. Not worth doing anything about it, just a visual reminder of what a worthless dinosaur it is.

Welcome to the forum!
:)

Last edited:

Springer2

Bearcat
I have a LC9 that has been my primary carry gun for years. Right sized for carry, revolver like trigger pull, and uses the 9mm round so nothing not to like about it. The trigger is very service like and not like any target trigger so it works well for its intended role.

oldcrab

Bearcat
I used to own the lc9, liked the gun but hated the trigger, and sold it later and bought the lc9s pro.
The lc9s pro fixed the major things I disliked about the lc9.
I pocket carry with it tucked into a little DeSantis pocket-holster.

As far as shooting it, that micro pistol taught me a lot about how bad my grip/hold was, and I am now a better shooter with it and my other semi-autos as a result of practicing with the snappy little son-of-a-gun!

I shoot both purchased and my reloaded 9mm 115-grain cartridges and have never-ever had a failure to fire or extract with it, so my confidence is good with it. (have put in excess of 1,000 rounds through it...mostly my reloads)

I haven't experienced any rust on it or the magazines over the years, and maybe that's because of the DeSantis pocket holster???? (don't know)

Have a great week, friends.

Crab