Anyone see wood like this on a new 10/22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have been watching this rifle at a local shop for a few weeks. Now, I am a sucker for nice wood, so I brought it home to join the other 5 10/22's. It looks like Circassian with all the streaks in it. The downside is that it has the matte finish and synthetic parts. Oh well, she is pretty.

Mike

100_0948.jpg

100_0950.jpg

100_0951.jpg

100_0952.jpg

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
That is a very nice stock and I would put that stock on a better looking 10/22. I bet that would look great on an older stainless 10/22 :wink:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
mattsbox99":mjeqd6x8 said:
Thats the DSP model, they still make it. They are $125 more than the regular 10/22s.

Yea, but that wood is exceptional compared to most any DSP I have seen. It is a shame to be on a current matte gun with the plastic parts.

I have an older DSP from the early 1990's and it has very plain walnut. This rifle was just exceptional and I had to have it. I know the dealer didn't mark it up any extra because of the wood. I paid $268 plus tax. I plan on putting an older blued barrel and anodized action in it. I may even put a SS setup in it to see how that looks. These things are to much like potato chips.

Mike

mattsbox99

Hunter
My 350 Rem Mag came with wood like that, then it cracked just behind the tang. I sent it back and got a nice piece back, but not as nice as I sent in. I was a little bummed, but thats the way the chips fall.

boaterjohn

Bearcat
I have priced that same piece at $300.00 plus tax at 3 places locally. Great deal. Is it the model referred to as the Sporter?

Personally I think the wood & dark barrel looks great.

jimd441

Blackhawk
That is a very nice DSP. I paid $300 for mine a few weeks ago. It has a very nice stock, but not as nice as yours. So, nicer stock, lower price, I'd say you did great as I'm not complaining one bit about mine :D

Jim

Can anybody chime in as to what they think the wood is. It just does not appear to me to be the standard black walnut. I am guessing that it was something left over from a contract run for Lipsey's or other distributer. Damn few pretty guns show up in this area, but I got real lucky this time.

Mike

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I am not an expert on black walnut but that could well be black walnut and you just got really lucky that that piece had such a great grain. I have a Rem 541T-HB that has very nice wood too but not quite that nice.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Very nice stock. Also not an expert, but mabe black walnut with great grain. The best stocks I have on any of my 10/22s are on the full length stocked International models which Ruger does not make anymore

medicdave

Blackhawk
I bought a 10/22 stainless rifle @ wally world that had the mineral streaking in it like that. Nothing special about the gun, just good wood. Every once in a while ya get lucky and find one...Dave

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I think that's a distributor exclusive with a Circassian stock. I've read a couple posts of RFC.com about them. Very nice wood, and usually more expensive than the regular DSP 10/22.

I'm another one that likes the matte finish.

Nice rifle.

chet15

Hawkeye
CajunBass":nxfngeya said:
I think that's a distributor exclusive with a Circassian stock. I've read a couple posts of RFC.com about them. Very nice wood, and usually more expensive than the regular DSP 10/22.

I'm another one that likes the matte finish.

Nice rifle.

Yes, a small run being done for Davidson's.
Chet15

Beautiful lumber!!

Wonder what that would look like if you gently buffed it with some 0000 steel wool and then rubbed in some Tru Oil . . . and perhaps repeated that treatment several times?

Just wondering . . .

:wink: