Anyone see this with their 10/22 Takedown and Suppressor?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jydder

Bearcat
The other day I took 2 of my 10/22s and my new silencerco sparrow suppressor to the range. Both rifles are scoped. I sighted them in at 50 yards. I tried the suppressor on my Tactical Solutions 10/22 first. No problem. Accuracy was fine. Then tried it on my Takedown and couldn't see where the bullets were hitting. Removed and inspected the suppressor (no noticeable damage). Reinstalled and tried it again. Still way off target. Then I shot into the berm to see how far off the bullets were hitting. Saw 2 simultaneous puffs of smoke, each about 20 feet off mark. Didn't dare take another shot. Today I threaded the exposed baffles of the suppressor on the end of the barrel and, looking down it could see the edge of one of the baffles (see photo).
rifle.jpg

Looking down the barrel I can see the suppressor rotate around as I thread it on and off. Since the suppressor worked flawlessly on my TS rifle, I can only conclude that the threads on the Takedown are off-center. Has anyone heard of this problem with Takedowns?

Kanook

Buckeye
It is completely possible. Contact Ruger to get a replacement.

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Know that some barrel manufacturers machine the profile of thier barrels and then do the rifling. Think Ruger uses hammer forged barrels, so it may be that they machine the outside after they hammer forge the barrel. If you do that, you could get an end that is not concentric with the bore.

There is some good information on Krieger Barrels website on how they make their cut rifled barrels and why they turn the outside profile first. Was looking for a different barrel for my AR-556 and was looking at getting one of theirs.

Kanook

Buckeye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ML8bBvwij0

This video will help some.

There are companies that sell guide rods that can be used to make sure/help reduce baffle strikes.
http://www.cncwarrior.com/category-s/1513.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=1513&show=16&page=6

One more thing, just because the shop has been around for 20yrs and they manufacture firearms, doesn't mean that they know how to double check a threaded barrel. I got lucky