Anyone running a Compensator on thier 22/45 pistols?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
Looking at Compensator for my threaded barrel 22/45 till my Suppressor is ordered and paperwork done....

Anyone tried the different ones?

b7f4fb9facb08dd5bfe911162ce67d0c.jpg
th

2245comppic021_zps396baef7.jpg

Some are 2X the price as others... not sure if one is better than the other?

I doubt either is effective but they look good. Gives you an idea of how it will feel with the can in place. I fiddled with a fake(solid-no internals) suppressor on my rifle just to see how it handled and carried before getting the real thing.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
If the compensator is made properly, they do work. The diameter and position of the ports venting expanding gasses is very important. Make no mistake, there is gas expanding in a .22 rimfire barrel that can be used to divert muzzle flip, to some modicum of benefit. I've been dabbling with compensators since 1993, experimenting with port diameters and location, but mostly using Ruger Mark pistols. Locating vent holes anywhere other than top dead center of the compensator, and then a row of ports 45° to each side of the top row seem to work best. Huge slots, or holes located all around the periphery of the compensator, don't really do much to constrict the flow of those gasses trying to get out of the barrel, but act more against one another. It's sorta like a garden house. Without a regulator on the working end of the hose, water comes out in sort of a BLAH, dribbling action. But when the water stream is constricted with an adjustable nozzle , the water jets out of the restricted hole(s) with much more force.

Not a compensator per se but I used a fake suppressor(solid aluminum muzzle device about 7" long x 1.5" diameter) to allow some sand bag room on my new 4" 22/45. With that much weight out front and the length snugly bedded on the bag, that thing was like a rifle. Just my opinion but the 4" pistols are hard to shoot as accurately as a 5.5" w/o some added weight at the muzzle.
Sight separation is not the issue with this one since I'm using a red dot optic. Tom asked yesterday(in a joking way) "Is that dot supposed to vibrate wildly all over the target?".

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
Well I got mine all set up and shooting....
I was pinging the 6" gong at 75 yards pretty easily and the Comp seemed to diminish what lil muzzle it had in the first place.
I can tell the difference when shooting with and without the comp on even though it is slight.. you can still see and feel the difference.

skip

Single-Sixer
I have the Tandemkross comp on my 22/45 and it works great...with the Volquartsen trigger kit it is a ball to shoot...

shakyshoot

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:
Talk about "racing stripes on a Rambler"...

You may scoff at using a compensator on a 22LR, but they really do make a difference. I have a Volquartsen Scorpion with their comp, and with standard velocity or subsonic ammo, that muzzle barely budges. It makes a big difference when you're shooting steel challenge or rapid fire bullseye.