Anyone know what the serial number range was for ....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Smitty908

Bearcat
Thank you! Don't know why I didn't think about that.

My dad has an unmolested 3-screw that I was trying to find out info on.

-Tim S.

Smitty908

Bearcat
Looks like his is from the latter part of '71.
DSC04056.jpg

Thanks again! See you at the SF shoot!

-Tim S.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hey, Smitty, I've got some interesting news for you.

The Old Model Ruger centerfire revolvers had "counterbored" cylinders.

That means the back of the cylinder is "very close" to the "breech face" of the cylinder frame.

Non-counterbored cylinders have a large gap between the back of the cylinder and the breech face of the cylinder frame since the "rim" thickness of the cartridge is NOT enclosed within the cylinder. Those cylinders will allow the insertion of the "plastic ring" between the cylinder and the breech.

Bottom Line? Your gun has a New Model cylinder. I bet it's been back to the Factory for some work.

JMHO,

flatgate

PS I HAVE several similar examples in my "shooter" box and they are "most favored".

The RENE agrees with the Ruger website on the serial number range.

FWIW, RENE gives 40-22868 as the last known OM .41 Blackhawk, although the range allegedly runs thru 40-22906.

:D

Smitty908

Bearcat
hmm... That's what I thought. This one still has it's half cock and has no transfer bar. Maybe the the original cylinder was swapped out by a previous owner or something. Oh well, so much for unmolested. Thanks for the info though guys.

-Tim S.

crashcrew

Bearcat
Yes, the .41 in question had the cylinder replaced by the factory due to a reloading accident. Luckily there were no injuries. But it DID hurt my feelings.

Tim

Latest posts