Anyone know how to detail strip a P93 slide?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
I'd like to disassemble the slide on my P93DC to clean/lube it internally and possibly bead blast it. Does anyone know how to remove the decock levers? Can't find anything with google and no replies in the Ruger-smithing forum.

thanks
Jeff

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Is it a Safety Model or a Decock Only Model? Different procedure for each model.

Basically, the Extractor on each model "captures" the right side Decock/Safety lever. To remove the extractor, pull on the claw of the extractor AWAY from the gun to the right JUST enough to get it to slide FORWARD and out of its slot. Right side lever will then pull right out.

If it's a Decock Only model, you then have to remove the Decock Spring (PAIN IN THE A**!) which captures the left Decock Lever. The left side Decock Lever captures the Firing Pin.

On the Safety Model, after removing the Extractor, it's a piece of cake.

The firing pin block and the front and rear sights are all that's left. And to remove the Firing Pin Block, you have to remove the rear sight (But you don't really need to do this).

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
OOPS, SORRY! Just saw that you DID tell us it was a DC Model! I'm a maroon.

Ok, well, you'll have to remove the Decock Spring then, which is located in the deep recess on the left levers side. It is contained by a pin as you will see. The pin comes out the side of the slide. It's tricky, as you must DEPRESS the spring with something, and AT THE SAME TIME try and get the pin started out of the slide with a screwdriver or other handy tool. Once you get the pin started, it's just a matter of muscle and patience. There should be a recess in the pin itself that the spring sits in, you have to get the pin moved enough outward while depressing the spring to get the spring to get OVER that recess to allow the pin to start moving outward. Ya, it's lots of fun! Getting it back in is a TAD easier.

KEN TN

Bearcat
Thanks for the great info. This is a great forum, just when I need help some body else has just ask the question.

I have a friend and we need to strip and re blue his slide on a P89DC. This will make is easy now.

I do have one more question for TruthNotRelative: Your signature says a P89 with the P95 trigger mod. What is that and do you have a link you can post?

Thanks, I'm new to this forum and to the P series, I just got a like new Stainless P89.

Ken TN

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Just wanted to add this to TNR's instructions:

To make removing the decock spring & pin easier I (finally) used a pick with a 90 degree bend at the tip to push the pin out of the slide. With the slide upsidedown you have to push down on the spring (I used a brass punch) fairly hard to get it away from the notch in the pin then push the pin out of the slide using the pick against the backside of the head of the pin. I fought it for 15 minutes with a small screwdriver until I remembered seeing the pick. 1st try it slid right out.

The extractor is cast. Interesting.

blammer

Single-Sixer
I found a DVD called 'Complete Ruger 'P' Series'. It is old, so P95 is NOT in it, but I found it very helpful in disassembling my P90. Midway USA has them.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
I own that DVD and that is how I learned to disassemble my 95 and my 89. It's good all the way up until the 345. Same basic info for all P-series minus the 345. I COULD be wrong about the 345 as I do not own one. The 345 owners can tell us wether or not it applies.

KEN TN

Bearcat
Truth,
Thanks for the info. This looks easy and I'm ordering several as I will have to do my KP89 and a P89DC for my friend.

We are going to strip and cold blue his slide and it will be easy to drop these in at the same time. I'm also ordering the Williams Fire sights.
Did the Fire sights make a big difference for visibility?

I sure like the P89 I might have to find a KP90 now as I like 45ACP...
Thanks
KEN TN

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Ken, I really love the 95 trigger on the 89. I was not the 1st to do this mod' however. A member named Airwin showed me how to do this. There is a bit of miss-information on the link above. One pic illustrates that the cut-out made in the 95 trigger is to make room for the guide rod. This is incorrect. It's actually to make room for the swinging link on the barrel. In any case, it's a great mod'. I wouldn't go back to the 89 trigger.

As for the "fire-sights", those are TRUGLO sights that I picked up at Reeds in San Jose. They are great if you have sufficient light source, otherwise they are ok. I'd invest in those sights that retain a glo even without a light source were I you.

Latest posts