Anyone know how many 32 Cal Combos were made?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Back a few months ago I bought a Single Six in 32 HR Mag. Not too long after I was offered a Blackhawk 32 HR Mag and 32-20 Combo. I knew about them but never saw one previously... And since I have a couple S&W 32-20 revolvers..one with adj sights I just had to buy the Blachawk. Anyone know how many(roughly) were made?? The cylinder is robust so may rechamber H&R Mag TO 327 Fed Bbl is a 5 1/2 in

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Not terribly rare but quite desirable. The number I usually see bandied about is 5000.
"Buckeye convertible Ruger"is the key phrase for searching info.
Be aware they made several caliber combos under the Buckeye name.
Collectable enough that I would not rechamber to 327.
Better to find a Single Seven for that.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Well then how rare was the single six 23 H&R mag?. I knew about the Single 7 327 Fed.. which seems to have a biy of a problem loading it. ...or so I have read and been told. I have ab SP101 in 327. A nice shooter...but needs a bit of work in the trigger area. I just have't looked gor a spring kit...yet

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
I too have seen the 5000 number, but it was in an ad to sell one, so I took the info with a grain or two of salt. I've repeatedly told my sad tale of buying one of the first ones in town then foolishly selling it About a year or so I got its replacement in 95% condition with box and dox, and only had to pay about 2 1/2 times what I got for the one I sold 25 years ago. :rolleyes:

I have one of the stainless Blackhawk 327 Eight Shooters, which as far as I have determined is less common than the BE-BH. Like you, I'm considering having my BE reamed, but then I'd have no excuse to own both! :giggle: I bought it by a strange, serendipitous set of circumstances, so I don't want to tempt fate. ;)

Froggie

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Yeah. I like the 32 for some reason. Have a fairly rare S&W 16-4 in 32 H&R. I've never shot the Single Six...and will probably sell it come summer. I do not have the box or dox for the Combo. But I got it for 600 bucks. just a bit more than I paid for the Single Six 32. I doubt the 32-20 has ever been fired. Unfortunately, I sold my Ruger 1894 carbines in 32-20 and 41 mag. I actually miss the 41. I have shot both of the S&W 32-20s. One is a very early (1902-1907?) M&P with adj sights and the other is a fixed sight made around 1925

9mmTed

Bearcat
Down by the Green River where Paradise Lay, Kentuc
This is one combo that has always made sense to me, and I've passed on several over the years thinking I'd find a better deal. I guess that's just one more my daughter won't have to worry about selling when I'm gone, lol. But if I ever run across a deal on one, I'm sure she'll be fine with it. I love all my 32s, and the 327 GP100 makes for a fun day at the range.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
I just seem to keep bringing home 32s. Right now I plan to get rid of all of the "extras" and hold onto the Buckeye 32 Combo and my custom S&W 327 with perhaps an auxiliary 32-20 cylinder fitted to it. Of course there could be a Marlin or Henry in some variation of 32 pistol round and… :unsure::rolleyes:;)

Gizmo1964

Bearcat
Not a combo but a NIB Single Six in 32 H&R Mag. My dad had a thing for 32 mag. I checked the SN and this is 1985 vintage. I have all the paper work and maybe even the receipt. He was a bigger fan of Ruger's than I knew. I could not even find ammo at the last gun show for it.

Attachments

• 32 H&R Mag.jpg
    32 H&R Mag.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 94

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Gizmo, that's a Single Six, isn't it? There were some of those made about that time, IIRC, and I like them better than the current Single Sevens, even though I have warm thoughts for the 327 FM chambering of the latter.

Froggie

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I too could never warm up to the Single 7 in .327 Fed Mag. But I liked the cartridge. I reamed my Single Six .32 SSM (Single Six Magnum) cyl for the .327 and presently shoot both. A very simple ream job to lengthen the case mouth shoulder in the chambers. Of course The .327 factory cyl is a bit longer, but I just watch my overall cartridge length when I seat bullets and have no problem. I picked up another .32 H&R cyl and re-chambered it to .32-20 with a shortened case neck, again watching overall length.

For me, it's the handiest frame size for all three cartridges.

elmo123

Bearcat
I bought one of the stainless 32 H&R Single Six that Davidson's had a few years back and they only had 99 listed.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
The SP101 327 FM I have shoots all the straight wall 32s...even the 32 Autos. Makes it a very versatile piece. The only ones I don't shoot is the 32 S&W(short one) mainly cause I don't have very many cases to load. Can't find loaded ammo...but a friend gave me a box...wimpy stuff though. but for real wimp...I had a top break revolver in 32 Rimfire. Found a couple boxes of ammo for it in a men's clothing store and another box in an old pharmacy of all places. I have decided I am going to sell the Single six 32 though. I;ll probably never shoot it. I haven't shot the S&W 16-4 in 2 years

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Careful what you sell off! "Seller's Remorse" IS a real thing! I sold my Buckeye Special 32 combo and S&W 16-4, then 20 years later had to pay almost 3 times as much to get another BES, and built a custom stainless Smith K 327 to replace the 16-4. The ease with which you will find buyers for the Single Six and 16-4 should be a hint!

Froggie

Rat76

Single-Sixer
Grandpa"s 1921 Colt Army Special in 32-20 got me started reloading. The Taurus 32mag J-Frame carry piece added that caliber. When the Buckeye came along, well that had to be mine. Of course at just about the same time the 32mag 9 inch Single Six popped up. Right at a grand each spent on GunBroker for the last two. AND a big grin on my face.

I had thoughts of reaming the BE for 327 FM but couldn't find a reamer. On sober reflection I think it's probably for the best.

contender

Ruger Guru
The OP asked about combo guns,, and in the Ruger line,, the Buckeye Sports convertible comes to mind. I don't think Ruger ever made any other models that were convertible. BUT,,, the 327's are very capable of handling the rimmed .32's from the little short all the way up.
And as for the number of the .32 H&R mags in the Single-Six size. Ruger had different models & it is a popular gun to enjoy. I recall way back when they were introduced,, thinking; "Nobody wants a .32 anymore,, these things are not gonna sell." Well, I decided to get a couple & put them away for later on, thinking they'd be a neat addition to my collection. Especially thinking they'd rise a lot in value. I found a NIB Bisley and got it. Then I found a used shooter with the plow handle.
I made the mistake of shooting the plow handled one. They are excellent guns, and caused me to realize I was wrong about them not becoming popular & selling well. Ruger has done quite well in making several .32 cal revolver models.
I also own a Blackhawk in 327 & a Buckeye convertible. Love them all.

32magfan

Blackhawk
The Buckeye 32 H&R / 32-20 convertibles were produced in the 80's by the now defunct Buckeye distributor. They followed it up a couple of years later with a 38-40/10mm convertible Blackhawk. Another Super Blackhawk Convertible was made in 44Mag/44-40 but only about 900 were shipped as convertible guns.
Back to 32's: Davidson's made Stainless Vaquero 32H&R/32-20 convertibles with 4-5/8" and 5-1/2" barrels.
Davidson's also produced other special runs of convertible Vaqueros, including a 38-40/40S&W stainless version. They have also made 45 Colt/45ACP versions of the Vaquero.

These are the ones I know about but this is certainly not a comprehensive list. Check the Red Eagle News Exchange for complete information.
I have and shoot all these guns but the SBH convertible as it remains NIB.
Thanks,
32Magfan

Latest posts