ANYONE HAVE ISSUES WITH SR45 SLIDE LOCK BACK?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seabreeze133

Bearcat
I have a new SR45 that seems to be a good pistol but 2 of my 3 mags will not hold slide open if I run the slide all the way back when dry firing. What gives? Have I done something wrong?

BTW, I have not fired the pistol yet. Only dry firing.

Thanks

seabreeze

Al James

Hunter
First off I would make sure that you have all of the factory preservative/grease cleaned out of the slide stop mechanism AND the magazine. Then fire it with some live ammo before panicking out too much.

I bought an early production SR45 that did the same thing even after cleaning. I Called Ruger and they sent me a new mag design and it has worked flawlessly since. What SN# range is your gun? Give Ruger a call if all else fails, they usually have great customer service.

seabreeze133

Bearcat
Thanks gentlemen. I was a little surprised and disappointed as this is my 1st Ruger semi auto.

If I could ask another question, the trigger is not that great. It is a little rough and to heavy. Is there anything that can be done?

BTW, I usually clean and lube new guns but did not clean the mags in this case. My bad.

Thanks again

seabreeze

Mike J

Hunter
I don't have an SR series gun. The trigger of the old Ruger P series I own smoothed out a lot after being dry & live fired. I would shoot at least 500 rounds through it before I judged the trigger.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
the trigger will improve with use. a little polish on the appropriate surfaces will expedite the process. shoot the pistol and see if it works correctly when fired. I own five SR series weapons and am well pleased.

seabreeze133

Bearcat
The serial # is 380-62xxx. Wonder if it is new old stock. As I said on another post, It is a matter of weak mag springs as I went to the sticky above and it appears from the pics that I have the newer mags.

seabreeze

Al James said:
First off I would make sure that you have all of the factory preservative/grease cleaned out of the slide stop mechanism AND the magazine. Then fire it with some live ammo before panicking out too much.

I bought an early production SR45 that did the same thing even after cleaning. I Called Ruger and they sent me a new mag design and it has worked flawlessly since. What SN# range is your gun? Give Ruger a call if all else fails, they usually have great customer service.

websterz

Single-Sixer
I have right at 600 rounds through my new SR45 and have had no failures of the slide to lock back.

Al James

Hunter
Let us know how this ends up with Ruger. For those considering the SR45, I would not let this post cause any hesitation. My particular SR45 is quite accurate and aside from an early mag that was not locking the slide back on empty it has been 100% reliable through over 1500 rounds.

seabreeze133

Bearcat
Gave Ruger a call and the really nice lady is shipping me 3 new mags along with a return label for the 3 I am having issues with. I was pleasantly surprised.

Will post a follow up when the mags arrive.

Thanks again for your responses/advice.

seabreeze