Anyone have experience with the Galco DAO holster???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I have the similar SAO for a SBHH. They're OK holsters, but not great, especially given the prices. You can get a nice custom made Simply Rugged, FIST, or a variety of others for about the same prices Galco is charging these days, and the custom holsters are so much nicer.

Now that said, I'm not a big fan of the "big name" holster makers who charge you $150-200+ for their products and give you a six month waiting time.

BTW, I also had an older Galco FLETCH for a Glock. As that aged it got soft, more like a baseball glove than some of the custom holsters I've used over time. I haven't had this problem with my SAO, but it's only a couple of years old.

If I had to do it over I'd probably get a Threepersons style holster from one of the custom makers rather than the SAO. I'm currently looking at one of these for my Lipsey's .44. I have a Simply Rugged pancake on order for another gun.

-- Sam

No.....not SAO.

I didn't misspell that.

It's properly called the DAO - Click the link I provided in the OP.

Thanks for the input of your Galco though.

-

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Gary, that's why I said, "similar", as well as the other qualifications. I realize you were asking about the DAO. It is a very similar holster to the SAO, just designed for double actions as opposed to single. Therefore I figured my experience with the SAO was relevant.

-- Sam

Ahhhh.....

I see it now - My bad, Sam.

I'm looking for a good thumb-strap retention holster for a 4" GP-100.

I REALLY like El Paso Saddlery's work......but since this revolver won't be frequently carried, I don't want to spend custom prices.

-

WFRII

Bearcat
Check out Lobo holsters.
Very reasonably priced and well made.
An excellent gentleman to work with too.
http://lobogunleather.com/
I recently got this holster for my 3" CS-1 and love it.
DSC_0046.jpg

Skeleton King

Bearcat
Wow, that Galco looks BIG :shock:. It could just be me, but the example pics, and that thumb strap, make the gun seem gargantuan. . . which isn't necessarily a bad thing. :p I'm all for supporting custom makers, especially locals, but you don't always have to.

I use an Aker bodyguard with my 4' GP. It's surprisingly stout and flat for a production holster, the thumb strap is small (goes over the rear sight area opposed to behind the hammer), and it feels right, but it doesn't have the retention the Galco does.

Aker makes some good stuff, and if you want to bargain hunt, search for "Rod's Resale" via Ebay.

P.S. Just looking around, it seems Aker stuff can be harder to find, ditto revolver gear, but worth the look IMO. I'l letcha know if I run across anything!

:D

Dobetown

Bearcat
I picked up 1 last spring for a 5.5 Stainless 45c Bisley and am happy with the quality and price and 1 week delivery. I like the 2 postion for truck or horseback. I have had Galco in the past and this newest one seems somewhat stouter leather.

thirdgen17

Bearcat
I have the DAO but didn't like it because it didn't protect the rear sight. I like the FLETCH for the GP100 unless you just want it in the cross draw position.

Boomer

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":1t9341da said:
...It is a very similar holster to the SAO, just designed for double actions as opposed to single.
As clarification, Galco's website describes; "The Dual Action Outdoorsman holster is great for field carry whether hunting or for peace of mind in bear country".

Just yesterday, I ordered a Galco DAO452 for my Ruger MkII 5.5" bull, which clearly isn't the typical application. I do have an old Uncle Mikes (which is too long) and recently bought a Hunter holster for this gun (which has inner mating surfaces like sandpaper, thus unacceptable). Galco's DAO looks like a quality product (bought discount online). OK, I'm done...

mtnbkr

Bearcat
I have the DAO for my 5.5" Redhawk. I don't really like it. It flops around too much (this with a good gun belt) and the retention strap gets in the way when unsnapped (noisy to unsnap as well, got a deer's attention).

I cut the strap off and tightened the tension to provide good retention, but I still don't like how it rides. Had I known about SimplyRugged, I would have spent my money there. I probably will get one of their holsters next Spring.

Chris

nn

Single-Sixer
The DAO is a good holster, I use it for N frames and similar sized Rugers.

Peacemaker

Bearcat
I agree with mtnbkr. I have a Galco for the Alaskan, and it definitely "flops around too much". However, this is because the belt "loop" is at the center of the holster, which places the support of the gun weight at the cylinder, rather than at the top heavy grips on the Alaskan. There is no way to obtain a close side fit when you tighten your belt, cause it tightens around the center of the gun rather than the top. I just bought a "Hunter" holster for the Alaskan, which has the standard belt loop at the top of the holster and it snugs the gun right up against the waist with no "flop around". Having said that, the Galco is made of excellent leather, and if you use it with a revolver that is not as "top heavy" as the Alaskan, it may prove to be just fine for you.