Anyone have experience with Pit Boss

Help Support Ruger Forum:

turd

Blackhawk
combo pellet smoker/gas grill? Been considering one, but would like some experienced comments on quality of build, etc. Yeah, I know Traeger is supposedly the best, but I'm interested in the Pit Boss one.

Son has one and had the electronics go out a month ago, just out of warranty. Got the replacement parts fairly easily and back working last weekend. I know it wasn't a cheep cheep one. I just bought him a bag of pellets for his birthday. He swears by it, even after the breakdown. Cooks ducks, chickens, sausages, steaks, briskets etc., hardly uses his stove anymore. The Traeger 20lb bag Signature blend pellets was $17.99 and lasts quite a while.

Yeah, I was going to add I have a wood but offset smoker, if I smoke anything, it would be at least $10 in wood.

I sort of really wish I had bought the pellet smoker for the convenience and ease.

But I wouldn’t have bought the Traeger as they aren’t made in the USA. Sorry, it I don’t know anything about the Pitt Boss smokers

1669228831306.png

on sale for black friday @ Academy
I don't think you can beat the price!

Last edited:
BGE is what you seek.
The Big Green Egg is an entirely different cooker than an automated pellet grill.

They are nice, but still not completely “set it and forget it.” The temps can quickly get out of hand, and you still have to monitor the fire over a long cook, like a brisket.

OH Come on Guys!!!! Your cooking skills go all the way back to your Caveman Roots of the smoking of the meat over an open fire with real wood. The Caveman didn't depend on electricity and the simple way :) Well my pit does have a connection a propane bottle
Every Manly Man needs to be able to master the pain in the arsh of controlling the correct cooking temperature for hours on end to cook the meat to perfection while staying sober enough to eat it. After all you have to have something to do while drinking beer. The hardest part is keeping the rest of the family awake and not going to Mickey Ds.
Happy Smoking:)
1669310389618.png

1669310344672.png

1669311504259.png

Robb Barnes

Hunter
Pit Boss was started by the original Traeger guys after the new owners squashed their improvement ideas. While I still use my Traeger, I will be seriously looking at the Pit Boss since I won’t spend the money for the locally made MAK grill.

Every Manly Man needs to be able to master the pain in the arsh of controlling the correct cooking temperature for hours on end to cook the meat to perfection
Jim: I know your grill, and they are pretty easy at keeping an even temp. Mine will chug right along at 275 without much work on my end.

I do agree with you though, wood and fire for meat cannot be duplicated by pellets or anything else. 👍

Although I don't own any of the pellet grills, I would like to. And I've researched many of them extensively.

My take, although the Traeger is as decent as any, their brand, now made in China, is not enough to make them roughly twice the cost of other brands, also made in China.

I've been around many Traeger's. Folks like them. They have also gotten high tech. Set your stove via your cell phone...When it works. A cousin has a Traeger with the cell phone controls. Part way through a family dinner I attended, his stove would no longer follow the directions of the cell phone. Big deal, I know, as he only now had to manually set the temperature. If I had one, I'd set it manually anyway.

Particularly, when I buy one, it will be a Pit Boss or Camp Chef. And as much as a feller trusts reviews (or not), these brands are rated equally or higher than a Traeger of similar features. And the Camp Chef and Pit Boss models I've looked at both have grease and ash collection features more efficient than the Traeger's I've looked at.

Why haven't I pulled the plug and bought one? I still use, every day, my propane grill. It's 100% stainless steel and wont wear out. It works marvelously and I can't make myself throw it away. Yes, I know it's not a wood, briquet, or pellet grill, but I put a pan of pellets and/or wood chunks inside, and it smokes nicely. I truly make wonderful food with it.

I also very much want to hear first-hand experiences with any of these brands.

Why haven't I pulled the plug and bought one? I still use, every day, my propane grill. It's 100% stainless steel and wont wear out. It works marvelously and I can't make myself throw it away.
What brand is it, Wayno? I know what you mean. This summer I bought all new parts for my Weber. It now functions, as new.

I told my wife when it wears out in about 5 or 6 years, then I’ll get me a new grill.

But, yeah, can’t throw away a perfect good grill.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
Visit the site; Amazingribs.com. Along with reviews there is good information, recipes and howto. I have used Weber gas grills for the past thirty years. On my fourth. Did not know about replacement parts for the lifespan of the first two. Have two Weber kettle grills when charcoal is needed give Meathead a try at Amazingribs. Read it like a book. Crushes a lot old wives tales. Always a good thing

Huskerguy72

Bearcat
I have a Pitt Boss and love it. I find pellets on sale, usually the Pitt Boss Competition blend. I have had zero problems in over 5 years. I do a pork butt that takes 15-20 hours depending on size. I fill up the hopper with pellets, set and go. Temps are consistent even if it is cold outside.

Friend has a Green Mountain and has hand nothing but problems. I would buy the Pitt Boss again. Also, not sure what size you are looking at but I do 2 pork butts or 3 or 4 racks of rubs at a time.

Last edited:

turd

Blackhawk
Visit the site; Amazingribs.com. Along with reviews there is good information, recipes and howto. I have used Weber gas grills for the past thirty years. On my fourth. Did not know about replacement parts for the lifespan of the first two. Have two Weber kettle grills when charcoal is needed give Meathead a try at Amazingribs. Read it like a book. Crushes a lot old wives tales. Always a good thing
THANKS for the referral, I bookmarked this site, lots of good info there. We've used Weber gas grills for the past 20 some years, and have a free standing gas smoker. I'm considering getting the combo to save some space and have better luck controlling the temps with the smoker.

I have a Austin XL unit that i have owned for about 5-6 years, i have had zero issues and using it could not be simpler, you need to read the directions and follow the proper lighting procedure and clean the unit when necessary, but other than that…pretty simple unit to use and the results are excellent.

I would recommend PITBOSS units without hesitancy and have several neighbors and friends who use them and feel the same as I do. Issues arise when the unit aren’t cleaned or used correctly…just like anything else.

crewdog05

Single-Sixer
I've got an older Traeger, I've gotten good service from it. Only complaint is since it does not have a PID controller is temp. control can be a bit spotty. Has +/- 20 degree fluctuations, once I learned how to manage that, it really became a non issue.
www.smokingmeatforums.com is a good place for advice and recipes. www.smoking-meat.com is related to the forum, also much info.

any ruger

Blackhawk
Bought a Pit Boss 3 years ago would never go back to gas or charcoal. Used to by a new different grill every year no more except wish I would have bought a bigger one still might.