Anyone got any good loading date for the GSR?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bjportwood

Bearcat
My first post here, just picked up a used Ruger GSR from a friend, he put 100 rds thru it and grew tired of it. I traded a Ruger 357 and some cash and got a deal. I personally shot it when he bought it new back in July and it shoots dead on at 100 yds with no sight adjustment needed. Groups were anout 2-3 inches with factory irons at 80 yds. Couldn't be happier with it, he also threw in 100 pieces of once fired Remington brass. I'm looking to reload probably 150 or 165 gr nosler partitions or coreloks. Any good load data out there for the 16" GSR? I currently use H4350 for my 180 gr loads in my 300 WSM and 30-06. I want to get a good powder for my Savage 99 in 300 Savage and now in 308 for the GSR. I've been told that they are similar and that you can load the 300 Savage like a 308 light. Anyways, I've yet to look in my manual and compare 300 Savage and 308 Win powders, but if ya got any dood recipies for reloading for the the GSR I'd really appreciate it. I was thinking of R-15, between 43 and 44 grains.

Cool forum,

Thanks Billy Jack

bjportwood

Bearcat
No pics, but took it out yesterday and shot lying in the snow, shooting off my backpack and got 3" groups with my hand loads at 100 yds with iron sights. No sight adjustment neccessary, hit exactly point of aim. Ended up loading 43 grs of Varget with 165 gr Hornady interlocks, WLMR primers, Remington once fired brass. This recipe shot awesome and alittle tighter than the factory loads I shot. Needless to say I loaded up 80 rds of these last night. Recoil was light, no muzzle flash and cleaning revealed a pretty clean bore.
Looks like this would make a great black bear and deer in my neck of the woods here.
Billy Jack

M'BOGO

Buckeye
bjportwood,

Are you using the Magnum primers because of concerns over temperature? I really don't have experience with extreme cold, but my understanding of the Hodgdon Extreme powders is consistancy during extreme spreads in temperature. What I'm getting at, without a clue of your situation (do you have a chronograph, to compare differences with primers, extreme spreads?) the group might tighten up with standard primers. Still, with the ghost ring irons, three inches is pretty good for a carbine. With my Savage Scout (one of the early ones, pre accu trigger), and Burris optics, it is good for about 1.5" at 100 yards.

bjportwood

Bearcat
I started reloading for my 300 WSM, since premium ammo that shoots good thru it is 50.00 a box, so I bought alot of Magnum primers. I also don't want to accidentally mix standard with magnums. My buddy in cold weather has bad handfires with standard primers in magnum cartriges. To me it just makes since, especially where I live. I sometimes shoot in -10 below zero weather, either calling predators or out in the bush snowmachining. I understand that you can run into problems in cold weather and magnum primers really shine in cold temps. I had a Gen 1 Savage Scout 308 in about 2001 and it too grouped about 1.5"-2" at 100 with the Williams peep sight, Scouts are just awesome, I don't see myself putting glass on this one.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
That's understandable, and about what I figured as far as the magnum primers. For the sake of your safety, keep an eye on the fired brass. I've heard of mag primers causing large pressure differences, when loads were developed with standard primers.

I know there has been rating with pistol primers, pertaining to pressure differences. I wish there was one for rifle primers too. Maybe we should get a writing campaign to Handloader Magazine to print the pressure differences with all different primers. Pressures they generate, and heat.