Anyone else wish Ruger would make this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dougader

Hunter
I'm trying to figure why the BFR in 44 mag or 45 Colt needs to weigh 4.86 pounds. For a heavy revolver I like the Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt, preferably with a 4-5/8 or 5-1/2" barrel.

Snyd

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99":9gfmutmp said:
Why give up a shot? I see no advantage to a 5 shot revolver.

It's all about strength. The 5 shot 45 Colts like the FA's are so you can shoot 50,000CUP (454 Casull pressure) loads in them.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Why not simply have a more powerful chambering to begin with? If all that extra testosterone is so important, just buy the FA and be done with it.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73":i9i8zo2p said:
Why not simply have a more powerful chambering to begin with? If all that extra testosterone is so important, just buy the FA and be done with it.

EXACTLY! Only better get the .460 S&W BFR, 'cause it'll do .454's and .45's as well.
Better off not to push it to the limit, get a larger limit! :lol:

I liked the heck outta the BFR's, 'til they started D&T all the top straps. And I didn't think much of their guns that had a cylinder far too long for the cartridge - like just making the .45-70 BFR into .500 S&W - the cylinder's way too long!
So I like the older BFR's a whole lot. They're real good quality. But I don't have any of the newer ones.

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
Redstick--
+1 on the .460 S&W BFR. I just imagine it with a Hunter barrel and wish Ruger made it. And add a 1/16 to the cartridge and give it cool name like 460 Ruger Warhammer or Thundergod or some such. :D :D

Redstick

Single-Sixer
tek4260":225vxhfq said:
And of course, BLUED

I've never seen a FULL RUST BFR, only Stainless! :D

psyclone66":225vxhfq said:
I just imagine it with a Hunter barrel and wish Ruger made it.

The HUNTER Model is Ruger's greatest bargain when it comes to a Single Action Hunting Handgun. With calibers like 454 Casull, 460 S&W, 475 & 500 Linebaugh, Ruger could definitely add to their HUNTER line-up, increase sales, and make lotsa shooters HAPPY!!! :mrgreen:

As mentioned above, the only reason for the five-shot cylinder might -- might -- be to allow the use of loads exceeding the SAAMI specification for .44 magnum. Otherwise it's just one less round in a gun that's heavier than a Ruger.

I'd be interested to see what the manufacturer says concerning load levels.

Interesting gun, but at that price I'd stay with a Ruger.

Now, if an otherwise identical gun is offered in .454 then I'd guess this is merely the "downsized" version that they offer to those not quite up to the hotter round.

JMHO
:mrgreen:

tek4260

Buckeye
Well the price is about $300 more than what I'd have to pay. Not really worried about the lost shot. Bet it would stand up to max loads much better than 6 shot revolvers. I'd have one on the way if it were offered in blued instead of bling.

Rclark

Hunter
Why give up a shot? I see no advantage to a 5 shot revolver.
True. Only get 4 shots ... load one, skip one, and load 3 more. Same with the 6 shot Rugers. Yeah, I know about the transfer bar, but I like having nothing under the hammer period when carrying (hiking, fishing, etc.) . Plus if 4/5 doesn't do the job ... what makes one think that one more will :) . When target shooting I load all six.

Anyway, I agree that if you want to shoot hotter loads, go to a bigger gun. That's what .454s on up are for. I do like the .45 Colt BH just because I can reload a bit hotter (more than I'll ever need actually) if I want too and yet the revolver is nice an light (relatively). I do have to get a Bisley .45 Colt some time. A guy could spend a lifetime 'collecting' these revolvers :roll: ....

Oh, to answer the question ... not really. I like the lowly .45 Colt ... Blued or course :) . More of a practical/utility type person I guess.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The 'lowly' .45 Colt or .44 Magnum pushing a 300 grain bullet at 1100 FPS will accomplish anything you really need to be doing with a handgun. Ruger already makes that gun, and its $600 cheaper than the BFR. I load all 6 chambers when carrying (except for my OMs).

Latest posts