anyone else loading for a 264 mag hawkeye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
mines giving me fits. Dont know if its the thin barrel heating up or a bad barrel but it will shoot many groups with 3 into a half inch and flyers open the rest of the group up to around 2 inch. Some even worse then that. Ive tried bedding and floating it but its still doing it. For bullets ive tried nos parts. in 140 and 125. 120 ballistitc tips. 140 sierras 140 hornady interlocks and 140 speer hotcores. Powders ive tried are h1000, re22 re25 and 7828. Primers ive tried are ww mag rifle and fed match mag rifle. All combos ive tried pretty much shoot the same. Anyone else having this problem? Any load suggestions? If you dont want to post loads on line send me a pm.

smousefam5

Bearcat
Are the three shots that are within .5" the first three? With that thin barrel with a .264 I would expect it to start walking around a bit after 3 shots. For a hunting rifle I only use three shot strings since that is pretty much all I will get in the field.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I have one, but so far, it's still in the box. Your using the right components. 3 shots into 1/2" is superb for a light barreled magnum and the 264 has a reputation as a barrel burner. If you are getting that kind of accuracy with 3 shots groups consistently with any of the above combinations, I'd consider myself satisfied and pick whichever bullet is suitable for the game in question and go hunting. Mach III velocities heat up a barrel very quickly and 90 degree days don't help either. Bob! :wink:

EVR

Single-Sixer
.264 is one of my favorite rifles, but yes, it can be a challenge to load for. My Hawkeye gave me fits, blowing primers coninually, and Ruger eventually rebarrelled and rebolted it.

Currently I'm using 7828SC powder and Remington 140 CL's, get excellent accuracy and consistency.

Have used it to kill elk, deer and coyotes, along with ground squirrels. Keep at it.

Whose rifle is it? i.e. make?

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
well i got looking at the data from my chronograph and saw that it was showing flatten primers at velcoitys that werent even up to 270 levels and i to had two blown primers yesterday i boxed it up and sent it back to ruger. Seems like about half the ruger rifles i buy in the last 5 years have to go back for something.

EVR

Single-Sixer
lloyd, your problem seems very much like mine was................

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
yup your post is greatly appreciated. It was nice for me to know that mine wasnt the only one doing it and it wasnt me doing something wrong. thanks.

sp

Single-Sixer
My .264 Win mag rifle before I burned it out, because it shot well and I used it alot, liked Re22 and the 120 gr. Nosler ballistic tip's.

1/2 inch groups are great and with velocities in the 3300 fps range w 120's this is about as good as it gets for a long range deer/varmint hunting load. I liked the 120's with the extra velocity because I thought the 140's, having a longer bullet bearing surface could not be loaded as fast as they should be.

Con

Bearcat
Lloyd Smale said:
well i just got off the phone to rugers service dept and they are going to rebarel it so my hats off to there service dept again

Why? What's wrong with it that they've decided to provide a new barrel?
Cheers...
Con

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
Well the pressure problem is gone. Its still a finiky rifle but i found one load using a 120 nos ballistic tip and 70 grains of re25 and a fed match mag primer that will go one inch for 5 shots. quite a few groups around 1.5 inch but loads it doesnt like will go 3 inch and even more .
Kudu m77 said:
What was the result?