Anyone else have this issue with their M77?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Baronvonphildo

Bearcat
I posted the following in the into section but thought maybe here was a better spot. Sorry if the dupe is poor form. So, officially new to the forum, though I have been a lurker for a while. I guess a "hello all" is in order.

I have an issue with a ruger M77 older style with tang safety in 30-06. So any help would be appreciated.

I got the gun from a buddy about 2 years ago and it has been great. 3 deer to its credit one the biggest of my life. Anyway, suppressors are now legal to hunt with here in Texas and back home in Kansas. (I'm active duty Air Force just displaced in Texas but proud to call it home now).

So I got a wild hair and decided to have the barrel threaded to accept my soon to be approved yhm 7.62 suppressor.( Just cause I can...pun intended). I had it and several other rifles threaded by Andrew of Atwell tactical in Dallas. Great guy and would recommend his work to anyone in that area.

Well, I went ahead a disassembled to the barrel and reciever, videoed the take down to make sure I could get it back together. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so expected no issues. Got the rifles back, beautifully single point threaded. Reassembled the M77 and headed out to the range to re-sight it in. Shooting 150gr monarch brass 'cause it was what I had on hand. First round fired perfectly but bolt was stuck closed! and I mean tight, not able to move the handle a bit. Luckily, I had my smarter than me phone on hand and the google machine told me to tap it out with a cleaning rod, so I did. 3-4 good whacks and it came right out. Now, I previously have shot a ton of monarch out of it since its cheap and have never had the issue before. I use Winchester super X 150gr for hunting. I digress, i went ahead and chambered another round to see if it was a fluke. Same thing again. Fired perfectly, no odd sounds, no odd smoke, normal recoil, all normal except bolt was stuck again. Two more times I tried with the same result. I figured i should quit before something bad happened. Switched to the mini 14 and figured I'd look closer at it once home.

On the drive I called Andrew to chat. His first thought was perhaps it was over pressure rounds from Monarch and I should try name brand stuff and that he did not have to remove the barrel from the receiver to thread so he doesn't expect a headspace issue. I got home and really cleaned out the chamber, tough to see in there but it doesn't look pitted or dirty at all.

Fast forward to today, I headed back out with the same box of winchester super x that i've been shooting with for the past three deer seasons. Load up. Normal shot. Stuck case, only now I can raise the bolt handle but not pull it back at first. Little more pressure and it opens, however the round is stuck in the chamber. I tap it out and put the it up.

Called Andrew and he is not sure what the problem could be. Offers to have me ship it to him or come by next time I'm in Dallas. (two hour drive) which is probably what I will do but its gonna be a while till I get over that way.

So my question is has anyone here had an issue similar? I found some stuff online with stuck cases but seemed to be all involving overpressure handloads and not factory ammo. Perhaps I misassembled something? The case that was stuck will not feed all the way back into the chamber, stops about 70% in. The case itself is intact, no ruptures or head separation. Primer is in place and looks pretty normal to me but maybe a bit flattened. Case walls appear to be almost very shallowly pocked/scratched. Rim is bent from the extractor. I should probably take it to a gunsmith around here but there aren't many to pick from and most don't have the best reviews.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Chief 101

Hunter
Did the gs machine male or female threads? Look down the barrel closely to see anything out of sorts such as a bulge or maybe tight spot. Make sure suppressor has enuf clearance for bullet...something got tight and you need to find it before you fire it again...

I am going to guess that you have some rust spots in the chamber. Take a good light and look from the rear of the receiver. If it is not to bad then it can be removed. The giveaway is the pockmarks on the case walls. I bet if you swab an oily white patch in the chamber it come out orange.

Mike

Baronvonphildo

Bearcat
Male threads on the barrel. No evidence, that I perceive, of any bulges through the barrel.

I haven't run it with the suppressor yet. Still waiting on the tax stamp.

I will get out some patches tonight and see if they come out orange. I don't remember seeing that after the last episode. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep you updated

Baronvonphildo

Bearcat
Headspace issue was my best guess as well. If the barrel wasn't removed all I can think is that I reasemmbled something wrong and that threw it off. I will be in Dallas next week so I'm gonna run it by the GS and have him check the headspace. Ill update then.

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
check to see if your bolt serial # to the action. anychance the bolt got mixed up with another ruger rifle? either yours or another rifle at the guy's place who did the work? and i second the go-no-go gage