Anyone deer hunt with Ruger .45 Colt revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bearcat
I currently use a 5 1/2" SS Bisley in 45 LC to deer hunt with I shoot the Speer Gold Dot (Deep Curl) 250g. JHP at 1200 fps. The deer taken (3) have shown severe wounds (expansion) with complete penetration in all cases. Would like to hear others experiences and specific ammunition uses in this great old cartridge (which Ruger has kept alive with its great revolvers!)

tom black

Blackhawk
Last November I killed a button buck about 60 yds. out with my 7.5"bbl. OM 45 that I converted to a brassie. I used the old Keith slug 454424 over 18 grs. 2400 and broke both shoulders with complete pass through. He fell where he stood and was still alive when I reached him so I popped him in the head. End of story. This was the first deer I've killed with a handgun in probably 25 years.
Tom Black

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I treat my revolvers like they were good friends I like to hunt with. Sometimes I never know untill I start loading who I will be hunting with.

When it is my 4&5/8" Blackhawk the load is usually a 325 grain WFP over 22 grains of H-110. It has proven very effective on both deer and hogs.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I have this set up:

SBHHunter45Colt.jpg

I reload a 305 gr. LRNFP-GC bullet and get great results. I use a milsurp powder WC820.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I cast up some Mihec clones of the RCBS 45-270-SAA Hollow Points (pentagonal hollow points) and gave them to a friend. He loaded them in his Ruger Bisley .45 Colt and took a nice buck this past hunting season. He is now a believer in hollow point bullets in the .45 Colt. He was loading at about the 850 fps level. The 270 H.P. performed quite well, even at those modest velocities (full penetration with serious damage).

Dale53

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I took a doe at 59 yards with my Super Blackhawk Hunter in 45 Colt last December. I used a Hornady 240 gr XTP. I did penetrate fully.

skip

Single-Sixer
I have hunted moose and right now I'm hunting black bear with my .45 Blackhawk on the weekends...haven't taken a shot yet...but I will...I'm using 300gr LBT bullets wide meplat (face)...

Marine24

Bearcat
Mine is a 454 Casull SRH with a cut down 4" barrel. I typically shoot 45 Colt 325gr WFNGC bullets for mulies and elk.

Accuracy is sufficient out to 100 yards, but most shots are within 40.

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
I have found that if I slow down the velocity some, the deer I have been lucky enough to kill with my handguns seem to drop quicker. I know folks say you have to have a good exit hole for the animal to die quickly but my experience tells me differently. I loaded a lead round nose down to less than 700 FPS and when the deer got hit it dropped. I have hit deer with factory 44 mag loads and 06 rifle loads and had them run a good distance. A .45 colt loaded with 8 grains of Unique and a 250 grain bullet still will blow thru a whitetail deer. In days long past, big caliber slow movers killed many American Bison, Elk and other larger game. I think if you can take a shot at a deer in 50 yards or less with a 45 Colt, you will put meat in the freezer.

tek4260

Buckeye
Bang flops huh. I don't even get that with my 475 or 500. The only ones I have done that with were 44's and they were neck shots. But, I do have Mihec HP molds to try this year!

Bearcat
SS 45 Colt Bisley and backup 44 Redhawk with Metro sights (tritium) for dusk and dawn.

208fuk7.jpg

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
I have been hunting a lot with the .45 Colt the last few years in a 5.5" Bisley and a 4" Redhawk.I love them both.The load I have been using for game is 325 gr hardcast @ about 1300 fps.I could get by with less but don't like to change loads and that one can be relied upon to penetrate big bones on large game like elk.

Those two guns have taken whitetails,mule deer,antelope,black bear,elk and moose.
MooseHunt2009151.jpg

pisgah

Buckeye
I don't have a Ruger .45, although I'd love to have one. But my .45 is a Uberti Flat Top target. Since it's of an SAA-sized frame persuasion, my loads are 255 gr. Keith-style SWC at 850 fps. Tackdriving accurate, and when I do my part any deer out to 50 yards is in a very serious situation. Even at such a comparatively mild level, the old .45 Colt puts a big hole all the way through a deer. Jacked up to levels still comfortable for a Blackhawk, it's medium-sized dinosaur medicine with the right bullet.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
I bought that Bisley and a box of Buffalo Bore ammo one day,sighted it in and took it hunting that evening.It took 4 evenings but this bear finally showed up and the .45 took him at 45 yds.
scan-9.jpg