anyone carry a single action?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1rebel

Bearcat
with all the latest whizzers they have out there now
does anyone carry a single action for self defense??
in particular a birdshead/?
i say that only because they are somewhat smaller in size than the regular sixshooter
im thinking abt getting a vaquero birdshead and use it as a truck gun for personal protection against both two and four legged varmints
one more thing does anyone make a decent ccw holster for one/?
i know abt mernickle but would love a comp tac infidel like i have for my glock 23 which btw is my main life insurance policy at the moment :wink:
yall let me know
thanks
1rebel

Knuckles

Buckeye
I had the 45 Colt birdies before... they're a bit heavy and made my britches droop a little... I would go with the 'simply Rugged' brand holster Company and get a "pancake" model. :wink:

I miss them both and wouldn't mind having a New Vaquero "Montado" with a Birdshead grip conversion on it.

tek4260

Buckeye
101_0364.jpg

Mernickle PS6L and 45 New Vaquero. Easy to hide!

Rclark

Hunter
does anyone carry a single action for self defense?
Well, now,.....what else is there???? One is always ready to go in the home. Don't have a CC permit so not on me at all times of course. Holstered in the field though. Field meaning woods, fishing, hunting, hiking, shooting ... Well you get the picture.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have been known to carry a SA as well. I've never felt "undergunned" or like I'd made a bad choice. Usually it's one of my 4-5/8" big bores.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
I have a CCW permit and have only one centerfire gun: NewVaq357, 4.68" barrel, carried in a fanny pack, heavily modified sights, SBH hammer, thinned and smoothed stock grip panels.

I carry it daily without fail.

Stiofan

Bearcat
My usual ccw is a LCP but I also carry my BH .41mag in the woods where I spend a good amount of time fishing and camping. The BH is in a crossdraw belt holster open carried.

Hammer

Single-Sixer
The failure rate of the 45 Colt is too high.

Prefer the 500 Linebaugh on a Ruger Bisley with a Milt Sparks holster.

The 500 with 440-grain WFN has a good Hatcher Factor.

If you can't carry a single-action revolver for some reason, a 50 GI will work but you'll have to settle for a lighter bullet.

tek4260

Buckeye
Hammer":2qr6abin said:

If you can't carry a single-action revolver for some reason, a 50 GI will work but you'll have to settle for a lighter bullet.

I'd move if my neighborhood was that bad :lol:

Or quit training elephants.............

63November

Single-Sixer
Hammer":37rkpqr7 said:

Huh? That comment, by association, sweeps other fine and proven cartridges into the dustpan. (The 44 Mag comes immediately to mind.) Methinks historical evidence trumps someone's theoretical vision of reality.

Rclark

Hunter
.... Interesting comment. Must be a tongue in check response :) ... unless you are planning to run into an Mastodon or a Triceratops here in North America any time soon ....

STW

Bearcat
unless you are planning to run into an Mastodon or a Triceratops here in North America any time soon ....

I understand that no one has ever needed a second shot from a .45 on a mastodon.

Hammer

Single-Sixer
have been carrying a Montado .45 Colt in a Simply Rugged holster lately...also a Kimber .45 auto...Glock 17 9mm

While individually they wouldn't be too bad, all three at once would tend to be heavy.

If you need that much stopping power...

Better to just carry one 500 Linebaugh.