anyone carry a single action?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I carry a .45 Colt Blackhawk from time to time. I usually use a OWB crossdraw. Yea, it does print some. But, having carried for as long as I have, I've found that folks over react when they think they print. Most folks wouldn't know what bulge was, much less care. Never had a LEO show even the least interest.

As an aside, I was in one of my local haunts and was discussing the Blackhawk with the counter guy when a local cop came in. We ended up talking single actions, and he too admitted that he has been known to carry a Vaquero when off duty. Not sure how his department would look on that, but he seemed perfectly happy with it.

63November

Single-Sixer
677245_Blackhawk.JPG

Either, or...

6772DSCF0849.JPG

Both 45s.

And they've "been there" for me when I've needed them to be, a "time or two."

flatgate

Hawkeye
63November":1vbbh5ql said:

Awesome image! Very creative.

What kind of wood are the grips........ :roll:

Are you shooting "5 shot" kind of loads or what?
Wouldn't larger meplats be appropriate?

Curious, just curious........

flatgate

maxpress

Buckeye
tek4260":1be15j58 said:
Hammer":1be15j58 said:
The failure rate of the 45 Colt is too high.

Prefer the 500 Linebaugh on a Ruger Bisley with a Milt Sparks holster.

The 500 with 440-grain WFN has a good Hatcher Factor.

If you can't carry a single-action revolver for some reason, a 50 GI will work but you'll have to settle for a lighter bullet.

i will have to agree with the surgeons/er docs at work. a hole in the heart or brainstem is dead dosnt matter what caliber as long as the pnetration is there. course they are hard targets in some situations. the heavier calibers will floor someone faster with a general torso shot though.

i carry a sigle action .44 or .45 in the field quite a bit and have never felt undergunned. its more of a couger gun around our mountains but im more wary of the attacks by illegals that happen around here than a cougar. i figure i can empty six shots about as fast and accuratly out of a single action as i can anything else.

63November

Single-Sixer
flatgate":ibavergf said:
What kind of wood are the grips........ :roll:

Are you shooting "5 shot" kind of loads or what?
Wouldn't larger meplats be appropriate?

The grips? They came off from a hardwood plantation in South America. I'm not sure what kind of tree they sacrificed for the cause, but I understand it was from a Goodyear plantation....whatever that means. :roll:

The usual loads I use are bullets cast from an RCBS "300" mold. Twenty-some grains of W296 - more than is usually published for jacketed bullets- is what I burn. They go through stuff!

(Thanks re: the pic; it was just taken on a whim in the spring: Bering Sea ice nearly out in the backgroun, Yukon river drift log for a "pedestal".)

Knuckles

Buckeye
mattsbox99":3nh4a1mk said:
Some people are only comfortable tied to a Howitzer!

Not me, I'm comfortable shooting somewhere between a .45LC and a .44mag... 950fps to maybe 1,150fps.
That's about all I can take... but I'm not afraid of the magnum rounds, I just don't shoot them so well......... :roll:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I carry my SBH 44 often.. even in town. In a Simply rugged it is secure and conceals very well for such a large gun.
Of course I am kind of partial to simply rugged holsters...
rugerandknife2.jpg

ciao ya'll...

reuben...