Anybody using Accurate 4064 to load their .243 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nffred

Bearcat
Like the title says, looking for accurate loads for my .243.

Don't want to come off as a jerk, but a lot of times (most times ?) these types of threads devolve into people singing the praises of their pet loads involving the use of any and all components EXCEPT what the OP asks about. Yeah, I know there are powders that are well known and seem to work really well for the .243 (when and if you can find them), but Accurate 4064 is what I have been able to acquire in enough quantity to work with, so . . . .

Been looking for a year for Alliant and/or suitable IMR powders with no luck. SO . . . if you use or have used Accurate 4064 for the .243 I'd appreciate hearing about what works for you.

(I know that this is likely to be a short and lonely thread, but one can always hope . . . :))

LouBev

Bearcat
NFFRED
I worked up loads for my Sako Forester .243 using DUPONT 4064 a bazillion years ago. If this is still the same powder as ACCURATE 4064, here's the loads with 5 round 100 yd groups. Proved to be, for my gun the best choice, though I tried seversl other powders
Let me IMG_20220326_202821762.jpg know if this helps.

LouBev

You probably won't get top velocity using 4064 with 100 grain bullets but should be able to get useable loads especially with 85 grain and under bullets. All the powder I have is older stock so no idea what current production burning rates compare. The older powder lots of AA 4064 seemed to be a bit faster than IMR 4064 grain for grain.

nffred

Bearcat
LouBev and Mobuck - thanks for your replies. I'm planning on keeping most of my loading to pills in the 60-75 grain range as much as possible. I understand not wanting to publish a load in open forum, but if you have any specific recommendations that worked well for you I'd appreciate a PM suggestion. ;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Not trying to be a smart-***,, but what do the loading manuals say about the use of that powder & your preferred bullet weights?
I just grabbed an older Hornady manual off my shelf here,, and saw several loads using the IMR 4064. While it didn't list the AA 4064,, you can look at the burn rate charts & see that AA 4064 is a slower burning powder than the IMR 4064. But it's a place to start. Get an Accurate Loading manual,, and see what they recommend. Better to use proven & tested data than internet guesswork.

nffred

Bearcat
"While it didn't list the AA 4064,, you can look at the burn rate charts & see that AA 4064 is a slower burning powder than the IMR 4064. But it's a place to start. Get an Accurate Loading manual,, and see what they recommend. Better to use proven & tested data than internet guesswork."

The problem with the published Accurate data is it basically gives a general range from minimum to maximum recommended loads with no notations on which loads tend to be more accurate for respectuve bullet weights, and I'm looking for someone's empirical data as a starting point from practical experience. I'm not a newby, been doing this for over 40 years. But published data is all over the place ; too many variables per brand/types of components and specs on test barrels. It's been lawyered to death for liability fears to where it's so general in nature it often seems to recommend that one do their own testing of a myriad of combinations to find out what works, freeing the manual writers from any supposed responsibility to give specific data. There is no yardstick I've been able to find that defines the practical differences in similarly produced powders on the burn charts - again, the data is general in nature simply showing a range between the extremes. I've found practical experience from knowledgeable reloaders who've found something that works for them helps narrow the range of trial and error and saves me time and components when I have a more defined starting point. But thanks for pointing out the obvious. Someone new to reloading may benefit from it. I appreciate the perspective.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm glad you didn't take offense at my post. Like you alluded to,, new handloaders need manuals & guidance.
Obviously,, you do have experience by your latest post. And I understand,, now,, more of what you seek.
Yes,, many manuals offer a bit of guidance as to more accurate loads etc. And yes,, some of the newer manuals do listen to lawyers more now,, (thanks to people being stupid & not studying what they are doing.) It's the reason I keep all my older manuals,, and often go back to them for reference material & ideas on how to narrow down my testing loads a bit.
I too have over 40 years of handloading experience,, and I used to load & shoot a lot more .243. I was actually going to go to my old manuals this morning to look up any info I might could find,, that might help guide you. But, obviously you've already done this.
So,, I'm no help.
My .243 rifles preferred a different powder & I don't recall using any of your Accurate 4064 in mine. I MIGHT have tested it back when, and it'd be in my test records. I'll check there to see if I can offer any info.

contender

Ruger Guru
I dug into my records,, and I did find where I helped a friend work up a load that was good in his .243. BUT,, he was using 100 grn bullets,, and IMR 4064. A mid-range load according to the charts.
Then I dug out Accurate Arms manual,, #1, from 1994. It did not show AA 4064 at all in the .243.
Next,, I looked into Ken Waters Pet Loads,, and again,, IMR 4064 but no AA 4064.

gunzo

Hunter
I know prices are high, components are scarce, & understand where you're coming from. But we still have to use some of the valuable stuff to find the pressure point in our own guns.

I have not used Accurate in this application but have used quite a bit of IMR 4064 over the years & it's very possible that they are the same powders, or not.

About all you can do is try it. I'm confident in the brand, & the burning rate for your application is close to ideal. It should serve you well.

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
YEP.....with 85 gr. btsp or bthp's. I can't recall the load but it's
in the Sierra Manual......accuracy load? Good Shoot'n!