Anybody reload for a .44 carbine using Titegroup?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

slotbike

Single-Sixer
I just got back from the range. I took my 1977 .44 Carbine that I just purchased. I was using Magtech SJSP ammo (240 gr.). The problem that I was having was with feeding. Every once in a while, the 3rd or 4th round wouldn't feed and a few times the whole action jammed up. Anybody have similar issues? any solutions? Also, I am going to start reloading for this firearm using Titegroup powder. Anybody ever use this powder for .44 Mag in "this" firearm? If so, any suggestions for a recipe?

G

sp

Single-Sixer
All the loads for .44 mag carbines that I have seen in manuals use Tite group for cast bullets.

I have use TiteGroup in my 4 5/8 Super Black Hawk .44 Mag revolver. I use the minimum load shown in the Hodgdon manual with 180 Gr Hornady hollow point jacketed bullet. I also use a Lee crimp die that sizes the entire loaded case in addition to putting a roll crimp on the bullet. I seat the bullet even with the cannelure then crimp. I like this load very much and have been using it for the past 6 months.

Tite group is a great powder for small charges in big cases I use it for light to moderate loads in .38 spl, .357, .45 auto and .44 mag.

Sorry not to have any more info on loading for the Ruger carbine. Looking at the Hodgdon manual several loads are shown for cast bullets and I don't know how that type of bullet would feed in the Ruger carbine.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
TITEGROUP is a very poor choise of propellents in an autoloading 44MAG carbine. PLEASE go read your loading manuals.
The RUGER 44MAG AUTOLOADING CARBINES are very easy to load for IF you cater to their needs and develope the loads with the proper propellents meant to be used in such carbines.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Acording to the Hodgdon online manual 9gr-10gr Tightgroup with a jacketed 240gr bullet should put you there.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

240 GR. NOS JHP - Hodgdon Titegroup - .429" - 1.600"
Start - 9.0gr 1219fps - 33,500 CUP
Max. 10.0gr - 1292fps - 37,700 CUP

Although There is load data for Titegroup in the 44mag it would not be the best powder for your carbine. Check this burn rate chart and see that it is 'very fast' making it better suited to plinking and short barrel pistols.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Your Carbine would like a slow powder like H-110 or Accurate #9 to have lots of gas to work the piston. A fast powder will be hard on that fine older rifle. Also lead bullets are not good as they can plug the gas port in the barrel. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

sp

Single-Sixer
The Hornady manual has .44 Mag loads for the Ruger carbine.

Hornady cautions against reducing the loads shown as the Ruger carbine may not function.

All loads shown are for moderate to slow burning pistol powders -- like H110. No lead bullets and no Titegroup

I use Titegroup in my SuperBlack Hawk .44 Mag for light 180 grain jacketed loads used for plinking - less recoil and many charges per pound of powder and positive results with a small charge in a big case. :D .

When I want to utilize the power available for the .44 Mag I use the 250 gr. Sierra jacketed bullet with AA#9 -- about 7 grains more.

Your goal is to provide the right amount of pressure at the gas port to ensure safe and positive results. I trust the folks at Hornady to provide good info as they have more time and money to experiment than the rest of us have. Besides they make great bullets.