Anybody looking for Springfield Armory 1911's ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Just wanted to let you guys and gals know. It seems that people are having a hard time finding SA 1911's.

There's a shop near me that has about 8 or them, from the GI and Milspec, all the way up through the Loadeds to the Trophy Match.

http://www.americansportshooting.com/

I have no idea what deals they'll make ... they're usually pretty expensive and I have NOTHING to do with the shop whatsoever. To be honest I really don't like the shop very much (they have a bit of an attitude), but if you've been looking for one and haven't been able to find one, they may be able to help you out.

They said they will do mail order.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I'm okay for now Rev but thanks.

I would recommend for anyone that wants a Springfield for a possible build gun, get a MilSpec model. It has some features that the G.I. doesn't and gives you far more starting points than the higher end models.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":3cd6k5kz said:
I would recommend for anyone that wants a Springfield for a possible build gun, get a MilSpec model. It has some features that the G.I. doesn't and gives you far more starting points than the higher end models.

Good advice, Cheese ... agreed !!

REV

sebtool

Blackhawk
I've been looking at the SAs pretty seriously, probably end up with a Champion model, an older 1, not the 'loaded' version. There are a bunch of them on GB and AA.

I was checking out the LTWT Champions, but it seems that those are going for MSRP or better on GB, which sucks pretty bad. Might check out a few local shops 1st. IF I can hold out till the end of the month there's a pretty good sized show semi-close. But you all know how it goes when the 'bug bites'..... we'll see what happens. Made a couple of offers, but haven't made a deal yet.

Looking at the Paras too - anyone have any experience with them? Quality of fit anf finish, accuracy? The 13-45s are a nice package, IMHO.

With that being said, I'm gonna check out your shop's stock, Rev, and see what their pricing's like.

Thx for the tip! :D

sebtool

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz":1xnqpvq4 said:

How so? What's the difference in construction/parts? I'm in the market now, would appreciate any info.
Thx

revhigh

Hawkeye
sebtool":b5tt8p4l said:
Just checked out their site, lots of 'coming soon' bs. Oh well.... it was worth a look.

They told me that their inventory is not current on the site ... I'd suggest giving them a call and asking specifically about what you may be interested in.

I only posted this because several people here as well as on the 1911 Springfield forum have recently mentioned that they SA's were tough to find lately, particularly the lower end models like the GI's and MilSpecs.

REV

jhearne

Buckeye
Yeah, I think my LGS told me a SA Mil Spec 1911 was a few months away for me. This was about a year ago though....seems it's not changed much then.

Josh

revhigh

Hawkeye
sebtool":1wg7kqy4 said:
Cheesewhiz":1wg7kqy4 said:

How so? What's the difference in construction/parts? I'm in the market now, would appreciate any info.
Thx

The MilSpec is generally considered to be the best starting point for a 'build' because it has 4 or 5 features that the 'true to the original GI design' GI model doesn't. Those features are 1) Better sights than the very small GI sights, 2) lowered and flared ejection port, 3) slightly beveled mag well, 4) no lanyard loop, and 5) forward slanted rear slide serrations (vs the GI model's vertical rear slide serrations. The MilSpec is priced 'about' $100 more than the GI model given the same finish.

An easy way to tell the current Springfields apart is the slide serrations.

WW2 (GI) Model: Pistol closely replicates the basic 1911A1 as used by the US military for seven decades. Features:
high wall ("narrow") ejection port
low profile GI sights
lanyard loop on mainspring housing
vertical cocking serrations on slide

Mil-Spec: Pre-dated the G.I. model, adds some popular features/upgrades
stainless barrel and bushing (some models)
loaded chamber indicator (some models)
lowered and flared ejection port
high profile 3-dot sights
beveled magazine well
loss of the lanyard loop on mainspring housing
forward-raked cocking serrations on slide

Loaded: An upgrade from the Mil-Spec with even more of the most popular features/upgrades
beavertail grip safety
Novak sights
ambidextrious thumb safety
long 3 hole trigger
full length guide rod (2-piece)
front cocking serrations
flat mainspring housing

For reference, here's my GI that I've put a few mods into ....

Started with a base GI Springfield Armory 1911. THen ...

* Throated and polished the chamber ***
* Polished the feed ramp ***
* Deburred the entire frame and slide internals ***
* Installed Match high speed adjustable long trigger *** $35
* Complete trigger job - 3.0-3.5 pounds and breaks like a glass toothpick (range use only) ***
* Installed flared Mag well and flat mainspring housing (original was arched) *** $40 ( I ONLY like flat mainspring housings and long triggers)
* Installed MilSpec crossed cannon grips (myself) $25
* Installed mag pad on Springfield mag (myself) $4
* Installed full length guide rod (myself) $20
* Still need to install Novak match front and rear sights
* Installed oversized barrel bushing *** $20

Gunsmith fees were $69 and included anything marked with ***

Parts $144

Total $213, but some parts wouldn't have been required like the grips, so it was right around $200.

IMG_0004-2.jpg

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Thanks Josh, I absolutely LOVE it ... it shoots as good as my Gold Cups, and I think nothing of shooting much hotter loads through it. THe single best feature is the trigger ... it is simply spectacular. Everyone who tries it is just blown away by how good it is.

It did turn out kinda handsome I think, mostly due to the magwell and mags with the bumpers, and two-tone controls. I didn't really like the OD Armory Kote at first ... but it's growing on me ... :D

REV

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I don't know if it does or not, but if the Milspec has a milled front sight base, that alone might make it worth the difference in price.

If you ever want to put "good" sights on it you'll need a place to put them, and the GI sights are pinned on. You'll need the originals removed, a dovetail cut, and the new sights installed, which will probably cost more than the difference in the base guns, especially if you have to ship it somewhere.

-- Sam

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yosemite Sam":1inq3j2s said:
I don't know if it does or not, but if the Milspec has a milled front sight base, that alone might make it worth the difference in price.

Are you positive about that Sam ?? I called Springfield, and they quoted me a price of about $65 to put MilSpec sights on my GI slide, and I KNOW that that did NOT include milling the slide.

Sorry Sam, I misread your post ... as far as I know, the MilSpec does NOT have a milled front sight, it just has better (larger and higher) 3 dot staked sights.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
sebtool":1evnxuqo said:
Cheesewhiz":1evnxuqo said:

Thx
Besides all the features Rev covered the MilSpec gives you a lot of starting options. If you wanted to make a retro looking sleeper gun, it comes without a beavertail radius so you just get the trigger fixed up or replaced (C&S offers a sweet Marine Corps match spur trigger kit) and maybe tighten the slide, add a few other things and you have a 1911 that looks almost completely stock, didn't cost alot but might just shoot with some of the better factory guns out there.

Because the MilSpec doesn't have a radius for a beavertail yet your options for one are not limited. The higher end Springfields have a .220" radius and will only fit beavertails that have a .220 radius so if you wanted a totally tricked out pistol your grip safety choices will be limited. The Ed Brown beavertail grip safety offers the highest grip on a 1911 but it has a different radius then .220" and so it won't fit on the higher end Springers without some welding and further cleaning up being done.
It also only has the rear serrations on the slide and so the slide looks much cleaner in my opinion.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Rev's right the Milspec comes with what amounts to Colt 3 (large) dot sights, they are pretty good. My MilSpec modifications are almost done but I am going to add Novak Sights and get the thing refinished (it needs it) in Black Armory Kote.

Here it is, it looks pretty ugly right now but won't for long.
DSCN0064.jpg

I put a lot of work into this thing and it now shoots about as good as any 1911 I have ever shot.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
revhigh":zdxhtk7l said:
[For reference, here's my GI that I've put a few mods into ....

Started with a base GI Springfield Armory 1911. THen ...

* Throated and polished the chamber ***
* Polished the feed ramp ***
* Deburred the entire frame and slide internals ***
* Installed Match high speed adjustable long trigger *** $35
* Complete trigger job - 3.0-3.5 pounds and breaks like a glass toothpick (range use only) ***
* Installed flared Mag well and flat mainspring housing (original was arched) *** $40 ( I ONLY like flat mainspring housings and long triggers)
* Installed MilSpec crossed cannon grips (myself) $25
* Installed mag pad on Springfield mag (myself) $4
* Installed full length guide rod (myself) $20
* Still need to install Novak match front and rear sights
* Installed oversized barrel bushing *** $20

Gunsmith fees were $69 and included anything marked with ***

Parts $144

Total $213, but some parts wouldn't have been required like the grips, so it was right around $200.

IMG_0004-2.jpg

REV

STI does most of that(***) to the Spartan.... MSRP $698, I paid $600 OTD for mine.
MIL-SPEC MSRP is $753, per gallery of guns.

sebtool

Blackhawk
Good info guys - thanks. Those are some nice looking pistols, too! :mrgreen:

I was looking at a couple of the 4.25" SA Champion models, but am starting to lean towards the full size. I had a Colt Officer's model, and traded it like a dumbazz, but like the Commander size guns. I think a sleeper in that size would be pretty cool. :wink: Plus it would be a bit more portable if I decided to carry it.

I've got an old Ithaca my father carried in Korea and SE Asia that I was thinking about using as a project, but not sure I could do that. It's loose as a goose, but will average about 3-1/2" to 4" at 25 yards all day long, and reliable as any new gun, if not more so. Everyone I've let shoot it has offered to buy it from me, but I haven't seen a stack of $100s nearly tall enough to buy it from me yet! :lol: I saw the 1 another member posted in the classifieds, thought about that 1 too. Just ain't pulled the trigger yet....

FWIW, on GB in the last couple of days there was a NIB Mil-Spec that went for $485, and GI at $460, which seems pretty reasonable. An older loaded model went for $565. Add s&h and FFL fees, of course. Bunch of others, as well, all the way up to over MSRP. :shock:

I guess I probably screwed up when I blew off a Charles Daly commander length a few days ago. Lotsa options, went for $370, nice shape. Would have been a good base to start from, according to a couple of reviews and opinions I've seen.

Decision, decisions..... :?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Richbaker":qfbq5f1u said:
STI does most of that(***) to the Spartan.... MSRP $698, I paid $600 OTD for mine.
MIL-SPEC MSRP is $753, per gallery of guns.

The STI looks nice Rich, never really considered that brand. The MilSpec may MSRP at $753, but the street price is about $550. I'm going to have to check out STI more closely. I REALLY DON'T LIKE those front slide serrations though, it would probably keep me from buying one, unless I found it used for real cheap.

Here's an absolute abomination of a 1911 by STI .... maybe Plaxico Burris will order one ... :D

STI.jpg

REV

jhearne

Buckeye
Haha Rev, TiN coat is something we see alot of here at work in tool coatings for our CNC's. It's purty :roll:.

I'd go for an STI, made in Texas :D

Josh