Anybody here reload for the 9x25 Dillon?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
I have a set of Dillon dies but it has not got an expander die for the case neck. I have read that you can just use a 9mm die to size the inside of the neck but my 9mm die just flares the case mouth out and the bullets are very hard to seat. I am afraid it is setting the shoulder back. I used 10mm brass to form my cases.

Enigma

Hunter
Dillon dies are designed for use on their progressive reloaders, where the powder funnel serves as the expander. You may need a slightly larger expander plug for your purposes - perhaps one intended for .38/357 would be enough larger for your purposes. Alternately, you might want to have someone make one for you on their lathe.

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
I need to find out exactly what die I need to order to the expand the inside of the neck. I read on another forum to use the expander die for a 9mm but my 9mm die set from the 80's just bells out the case mouth and does not size the inside of the neck.

rangerbob

Buckeye
CH, Your Dillon die set should be a 2 die set as you are dealing with a bottle neck rifle style cartridge. The sizing die should have the expander incorporated in it along with the decapping rod inside the die. When you run a 10 mm case through the die and withdraw it, the case is neck expanded by the expander button on the decapping rod. Were I reloading them, I would use a Lee Universal expander die to put a slight flare in the case mouth to ease bullet seating. Then I would seat the bullets in one step and crimp in another. I've been loading the 357 Sig since it appeared in 1994 and have learned a lot about bottleneck pistol cartridges. The 9x25 is just a lengthened 357 Sig. I suspect the folks at Dillon could answer any and all questions in reference to their dies and loading the 9x25. Bob! BTW, what pistol are you shooting it in? :wink:

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
rangerbob said:
CH, Your Dillon die set should be a 2 die set as you are dealing with a bottle neck rifle style cartridge. The sizing die should have the expander incorporated in it along with the decapping rod inside the die. When you run a 10 mm case through the die and withdraw it, the case is neck expanded by the expander button on the decapping rod. Were I reloading them, I would use a Lee Universal expander die to put a slight flare in the case mouth to ease bullet seating. Then I would seat the bullets in one step and crimp in another. I've been loading the 357 Sig since it appeared in 1994 and have learned a lot about bottleneck pistol cartridges. The 9x25 is just a lengthened 357 Sig. I suspect the folks at Dillon could answer any and all questions in reference to their dies and loading the 9x25. Bob! BTW, what pistol are you shooting it in? :wink:

I have a 6" lone Wolf barrel I bought for my Glock 20.

rangerbob

Buckeye
CH, I have a LW 6" barrel for my Glock 40 in 357 Sig. Using the 10mm magazines allows me to load the 357 Sig rounds a little longer than the usual 1.14" and use bullets that otherwise would not work such as 124 gr. round nose. The 9x25 would be an interesting round to work with as I all ready have the G40. Bob! :wink:

loaded round

Hunter
I was seriously thinking of buying a Barsto 9x25 Dillon barrel for one of my 1911's a few years back and never got around to it. When Sig and Federal came out with the 357 Sig round, it basically killed the 9x25 Dillon since it was so similar and was available as a factory round. JMHO.

Latest posts