Anybody here Elvis fans? Pic added 9-18

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Are you an Elvis fan? If so, have you ever heard of a tribute show, given by Donnie Edwards? He's the ONLY Elvis tribute artist endorsed by Graceland. Now, I was raised in the music industry. I have seen a ton of performers, including Elvis. And as such, I can be critical of musicians, their shows etc. I have only ever seen one live show that I could not find a mistake or whatever in it. (That was the very first time we saw "Celtic Woman during their first US tour.) Now when I saw Elvis,,, he was excellent. So, when Miss Penny got tickets last year to see Donnie here in Hendersonville,,, I was willing to go,, but figured it wouldn't be a really good show. Last year,,, I was pleasantly surprised. Donne puts on one heck of a good TRIBUTE show,,, that shows he truly admired Elvis. He jokes with the crowd, tells little back stories, preforms & sounds a lot like Elvis,,, and in general,,, allows us to enjoy Elvis music,, highlighting the really good stuff Elvis did. He has studied Elvis,,, and tries hard to perform each song as Elvis did. He readily admits how he tries hard,,, but is NOT Elvis. We got to go & meet him last year,, and he's a very personable pleasant young man. We actually enjoyed the show so much,, that last year,, Miss Penny said; "No matter who I have to kill,,, I'll have front row seats next year."
Well, we were on the front row last night, and again went to meet him again afterwards. He actually remembered us,, and in his show last night he mentioned how a local native played with Elvis. Ronnie Milsap. Well, my dad was Ronnie's first manager,, and we got to talk to Donnie a bit about that.
My point in all this is that I've always found most of the impersonators out there were not very good. Donnie is the exception. So, if you are a fan of Elvis,, and get the chance,, I'd say get tickets and go enjoy a good show.
You can look him up online as he has a website & a FB page.
So,,, Miss Penny & I went to the show last night, and took a couple with us. They really enjoyed it too! We don't do many concerts etc anymore,, so for me to endorse one,, I can promise you,, if you enjoy Elvis's music,, this one is worth the money.

Here is a picture of Miss Penny & I with Donnie.

DlrtFCu.jpg

pete44ru

Hunter

I attend an Elvis performance in 1957 ( I was thirteen) - no one else could touch him.

There was only one King (and it wasn't B.B. or Albert)...……………… 8)

dougader

Hunter
Good to know. I can be real picky about concerts, too. I gave up on most live shows because, even with the actual artists, most don't put a lot into their live concerts and you can tell. Plus, the older I get the less I like being in crowds or dealing with rude people.

dougader

Hunter
Reminded me of this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppttxQoc74Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kpBzUQHYtM

contender

Ruger Guru
pete,, Donnie actually said that Elvis didn't like being called "The King" as he felt the King was God. But,, he was patient with folks calling him the King of Rock & Roll. And Donnie was VERY clear he wasn't Elvis,,, but that he wanted to pay tribute to him.

dougader,,, I have been to a LOT of concerts, clubs, etc & such. I too have to really want to go,,,. Last year,, I was hesitant,, but Miss Penny really wanted to go. So,,,, to make momma happy,,,,, I went,, with a pre-conceived notion of being disappointed. I wasn't. And so this year,,, I actually looked forward to it. Yes,,, he makes small mistakes,, as do most live performances. And one thing he does is fake playing the guitar. Now he doesn't hide that fact,, as it's part of the act. And he only has the guitar for about 2-3 numbers total.

But,, having seen Elvis,, I can say Donnie does a good job of a tribute show.

Rumrunner

Hunter
Thanks for sharing. I saw Elvis in Des Moines Iowa back in 73 or 74. We sat in the middle of the main deck 20 rows back. Great show. I have seen a number of impersonators since that were so-so. I haven't heard of this one. Will watch for him.

I would love to see the Celtic Women.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Big Elvis fan here. Ronnie Milsap as well. There are hardly any performers worth listening to these days.

Mega Twin

Blackhawk
This is a local guy,and my mother ,who is 92 years old likes to see him when he is back in town.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_zfArFWYHM

Cholo

Staff member
I looked him up. Seems like a really down to earth guy! Here's an interview with him and clips of his performance:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMGG1uhDgUA

KIR

Single-Sixer
Mid to late 50's my mother would take me to see one of her friends who had a beautiful piece of furniture. It was a Grundig Majestic console with AM-FM radio. a turntable and one record album. It was Elvis' first. I would play that over and over again when I visited there. The sound quality was awesome. In the late 50's I bought several 78 rpm records at a dollar each. (I didn't think much of 45's) which decades later, I sold for $20 each. I watched several of his earlier movies but after G.I. Blues, they were all the same. I thought Elvis best was King Creole with Carolyn Jones. Every now and then I play Elvis' Golden Records album. Great memories.

contender

Ruger Guru
TRanger,, I forgot to add something,, (Don't know if you'll see this old post or not,, but here goes.)
As I mentioned, I grew up in the music business. My Dad, was a professional dancer. That's him in my avatar picture. Anyway, after WWII,, he built a business here in Lake Lure,, called; "The El Tango" that was a 2-story building. Downstairs,, a restaurant. Upstairs,, a Saturday night nightclub. And my Dad became a artist booking agent.
So,, the mention of Ronnie Milsap,, made me smile. My Dad was Ronnie's first booking agent. I have some stuff,, the first promo pictures etc of Ronnie. He's truly gifted.

Cholo,, yes,, Donnie seems very down to earth. We were able to speak with him,, and he's a really nice guy. And his appreciation of Elvis's music shows in his performances.

KIR,, since Miss Penny is a big Elvis fan,, we are always listening to his music around here. And,, she likes to play piano,, so,,, some of her favorite songs,,, are Elvis ones. The movies,, he did a few that we truly enjoy,, but as noted by many,, the plot & such of most of his movies were done around him singing, and getting the girl. But we still watch them. :D

RoundinCircles

Bearcat
I love Elvis. I listen to his music just about every day. Plus, I usually watch a documentary about him on YouTube or where ever I can find one. I've never seen a tribute artist, but I'll keep an eye out for Donnie if he ever comes my way.

JStacy

Single-Sixer
"Don't" is my favorite of his songs! The Jordan Aires also liked this song as their favorites!

black1970

Single-Sixer
Saw him Memphis in 74. He only did a couple of shows in Memphis. In the late 60’s I think my Father bought a Army boat down on 3rd Street in Memphis. Elvis and his body guards were there looking at boats and helped my Dad load the boat on his truck. I am a retired Detroit Diesel mechanic and rebuilt Carl Perkins’s bus engine.

RCA1504

Bearcat
We have been lucky to have had the room in our 50ft hallway to display concert memoronilia. We call it the Concert Hall. It has a few notables displayed, Elvis is in the center on one wall, across from him on the opposite wall is Buddy Holley. The pictures from the concerts, the tickets, etc are in glass frames.
My wife baby sat for Milsap and his wife long before he had a hit record. She has her favorites and not so favorites music folks, worked in the music store, owned by her uncle, across the street from the entrance to Graceland. She rented equipment for Memphis concerts and to recording studios. She knew quite a few folks in the music business.
We lived in Destin, FL for 40 years, saw notables near every day while out visiting customers.

Latest posts