Anybody have the new VT in 6.5 Creedmore

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dirt1

Bearcat
I've been thinking about picking one up. Does anybody have any experience with one yet? Looks pretty interesting.

Ewalker

Bearcat
I have got one and have run about 40 rounds thru it with no complaints other than the finish on the gun. I have 2 other 77VT's and the finish on the 6.5 looks and feels like it was spray painted in a sand storm. Only draw back I can think of is finding ammo, not just every place is carrying it.

dirt1

Bearcat
Does yours have the lighter nutmeg color stock? Is the finish still the target gray? I know they changed the stock to the darker color laminate, did they also change the finish?

Ewalker

Bearcat
Yes Dirt1 mine is darker stock and the finish is still target grey but it feels and looks like you painted it grey in a sand storm it is kinda gritty feeling.

dirt1

Bearcat
I wonder if they used a finish that is like the one they used on the M77 VLE. It is not smooth like the target gray.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Mine is smooth Target Grey with a relatively light colored laminate.

I haven't even managed to keep a scope on it, I initially put a 4.5-14 VXIII but moved that to another project. My dies and brass still haven't shown up yet. I need to check on that order.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Unfortunately Ruger downgraded the metal finish on the VT models too. The 6.5 Creedmoor I bought is my 4th (223, 25.06 & 308) and the 1st two have the the smooth, Target Grey finish while the latter bought have the "120 grit" finish. I really don't like the change, it's too light & rough. Brushing on a coat of oil gives it a darker, even finish - much better but still not as good as the original.

Laminate seems the same.

The Creedmoor is very easy on the shoulder, lots of very good bullets available. I assume pretty much anyone who shoots one reloads, there's a nice site called "Creedmoor Sports" where I got dies, brass & bullets. I prefer it over the 308.