Anybody got a no. 14 Speer Manual?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
My older one doesn't show the load for .45 Colt with the Speer shot cup. Can you cite the maximum charge shown, and velocity, with Unique and Bullseye powder? Thanks in advance if anybody has it.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
wolfee":nhsgddfb said:
My older one doesn't show the load for .45 Colt with the Speer shot cup. Can you cite the maximum charge shown, and velocity, with Unique and Bullseye powder? Thanks in advance if anybody has it.

You bet. My Speer Manual #14 doesn't list "minimum" and "maximum" powder charges for shotshell capsules however. It just lists one recommend charge for the type of powder.
Anyway, for the .45 Colt Shot shotshell capsule my manual lists 7.5 grains of Unique for 975fps, or 5.5 grains of Bullseye for 875fps. Both loads were tested in a 6" Model 25-5 Smith.

wolfee

Blackhawk
That does it. I hike around in the National Grasslands in southern Colorado a lot. Once in a while a rattlesanke tries to convince me that the trail is his--and wins. Next time I'll be prepared and argue with him.

A

Anonymous

Wolfee I use to try some shot capsules in my 38. I found that the lighter loads patterned the best for me.

wolfee

Blackhawk
I have read a lot of posts that seem to suggest the 38 load is best. the 44/45 patterns were never as even as the smaller calibers. At 10 feet I suspect it doesn't matter too much though.

dougader

Hunter
Hey Sturgell, I have seen Mike Venturino do that same thing with 45 Colt. Mike used gas checks for his wads.

In his tests the lower powder charges seemed to pattern a lot better.

I wonder if your data taken from the Speer shot capsules is a touch warm because your wads are pressed down over the powder... with the shot capsules there is a lot of room and they aren't seated as deep.

I know seating depth can raise pressures quite a bit. Something to experiment with...

Sturgell

Bearcat
I may try that on the next loads, the 357's were pretty light but the 44 had a nice thump to it.