Anybody else tried Triple-7 in their Old Army?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ClintV

Single-Sixer
I've been fooling around with my Old Army, trying to find a suitable BP substitute that ignites reliably. (real black is impossible to find locally, no one wants to mess with storage)I came across a pound of Triple-7 FFFG, first time I'd seen it, and decided to give it a go. 40 grains behind a .457 put the ball right on the bullseye at 25 yards, with the rear sight cranked all the way down. And the best part was it went bang every single time, no hangfires, no FTFs.
On second thought, maybe the best part was the cleanup..... :wink:

I know this load is a little heavier than most folks use, but I wanted all the gas I could get as I plan to carry it for a back up during our BP season next week. I lost a good buck last year when he got up before I could get reloaded. I'd have given my eye teeth to have had a quick follow up shot then, I don't plan to let it happen again. :?

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
My experience with 1858 Remingtons is that even with good FFF black powder and #11 caps, a black powder revolver is tempermental at best and unreliable at worst, prone to misfires, requiring replacement of the cap and a 2nd hammer strike. Given the increased ignition temperatures of black powder substitutes, the tendency to misfire and hangfir should increase drastically. I believe that the safest propellant for a black powder gun is black powder.

You can get black powder (if locally legal) through a number of sources, including www.powderinc.com

Split up a case with another shooter and you will have enough to last you a few years.

certified angus

Bearcat
Just double check your hunting regulations to be sure you are in the clear to use your OA during the muzzleloader season. Here in MN, it is not leagle because it is not loaded directly from the muzzle. Kind of a bummer. Thinking I need a muzzleloader barrel for my dad's T/C Encore handgun. :D

Axehandle

Buckeye
Got to be a Clements 50 Cal conversion on a ROA... Here is mine :D
001-41.jpg

Papa

Bearcat
Okay Axe, if your going to bring that old thing out then I'm showing mine :D

35gr 777 under a 255 SWC hardcast

100_1602.jpg

JNewell

Single-Sixer
I've used both loose and pellet 777 for a number of years now in a bunch of MLs and have never had it fail to go bang. Only downside is that it just doesn't smell right! ;)

Yep that is a pretty stout load fer sure. From what I understand 777 is about 15% more powerfull than TODAYS black.
I have used it and found this to be true. I like Goex in the pistol and 777 in the rifle. You could back off the amount of powder and shoot 200-230 grain .454 and end up with a better back up about the same as a BP 45Colt.
Hey can I play???
Jim
blacksht4-1.jpg

Del J

Single-Sixer
I have used 777 in my ROA's for some time and like it. The clean up is easy also, I like that a lot. As far a ROA BP back up, you could do a lot worse. One of my hunting parders had the same type of problem, now packs a ROA as back up and has used it sucessfully. A full charge of 777 with round ball or conical should take a whitetail out at close range with a well placed shot. My state allows one to carry a single shot ML pistol for a finishing shot. But revoler such as a ROA are legal in some of the other states I hunt. Good hunting.

robhof

Bearcat
I've used 4F Goex with 45 gr under a 454 ball with excellent results in my ROA. Haven't tried 777 yet, usually get Pyrodex at wally world after B/p season, they blow it out at around 1/2 price. Haven't had any misfires with it, but it isn't as peppy as the 4F black.

nicktulloh

Bearcat
certified angus":2wqxprq3 said:
Just double check your hunting regulations to be sure you are in the clear to use your OA during the muzzleloader season. Here in MN, it is not leagle because it is not loaded directly from the muzzle. Kind of a bummer. Thinking I need a muzzleloader barrel for my dad's T/C Encore handgun. :D

Even that isn't legal here in NH because the regs state muzzle loading rifle.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
Circling back here, I don't think you're going to blow up an ROA with 777, but most folks find the most accurate results are with mid-range loads.

11B40

Bearcat
I carried my ROA as a back up when I was using front stuffers deer hunting from 1976 till about 1997. I only needed it twice, once was a finish off shot on a slightly bad shot placement. The other time I was in a tree stand and couldn't swing the under hammer rifle around for the the shot on a 3 pointer and took it with two balls out of my Ruger. I never had a reliability problem in all those years, sealed the caps with nail polish when hunting and my load was 41 grains of 4F BP behind the ball. No need for corn meal. JMO

lovesrugers

Bearcat
I first started using 777 a few years ago in my Old Army. Here is a link to my results at that time:
Ruger Old Army as a magnum?
Since that date I have also tried a 250 grain bullet but I don't remember if I have posted the results of that or not.

Jerry

Latest posts