Any special value to pre-billboard Old Army's?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
My good news is that tomorrow my wife and I go to check out a late model (plastic boxed) stainless 7 1/2 inch fixed sight Ruger Old Army she found online a ways up the road. She watches the gun postings because she enjoys it.This one has box, papers, all the factory items and also an RD .45 Colt stainless conversion cylinder, with box, included in the package and at what I believe is a fair package price to both us and the seller. I'm really tickled to be getting this fixed sight model because it a handsome variation. And since I've returned to reloading and begun casting, I'll appreciate the conversion cylinder too. My wife is a wonderful lady whom I'm blessed to have in this life. I never would have seen the gun had she not brought it to my attention either.
On the other hand, I feel the need to sell a different Old Army (one of three garden variety stainless adjustable sight 7 1/2 inch models) to lessen the impact on my wife's and my savings. My wife told me not to sell anything, just enjoy the new-to-me gun, but I insist. The one I'm planning to sell dates to 1978-79 according to the Ruger site, and does not have the "billboard". Nice wide un-serrated trigger, crisp bore and I'd conservatively rate it at 85% to 90% overall. I did do a mother's Mag Polish job on the exterior when I brought it home to remove thirty five years of light scuffs. It has no box, papers or nipple wrench though. Walnut grips may or may not be original...I just don't know. Is the lack of the "billboard" a plus for the guns value? I would hope to be able to get $500 for this revolver but may be aiming too high. It's a legal deer gun here in my state and has followers for just that reason. Thoughts from members here would be appreciated. Thanks. Don

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I just found this post, as I was gone to the SHOT Show & haven't fully caught up.

Myself personally, would keep the OA and build the herd.
But, since you asked, I'd think that $500 should be fair for both buyer & seller. The lack of a billboard doesn't seem to affect the values much.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thanks Contender. Four ROA's though is too much for me at my age. I thought there was a limit we are allowed to have by rules of something (grin). Don

The lack of Old Armies on the market, seems to bring a higher value today, feel that is a very good price, especially in stainless, as they clean up quite well...the red/white box, manual and tool should be easy enough to find...........
Good luck

Nothing to "feel guilty" about, look around here, see what some of these guys actually have !!! :roll:
they about cornered the market in Rugers!!! 8)

.....and it still don't make a dent in actual overall production, must remember the VAST MAJORITY of Ruger owners and users are NOT collectors. :wink: