Any site that teachs basic checkering for free online?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I'm a tool and die maker (but not a gunsmith) and an accomplished woodworker. Having said that and fessed up on my limitations, I'm hoping someone can direct me to a site that could give me the basics on checkering. Nothing fancy. Just simple diamond patterns I could use on grips I make for my own handguns. I love the look and feel of exotic woods on a polished Ruger and would like to do my own.I bought a Dembart 16 line per inch starter set from Midway, but need a little visual guidance. All the sites I've searched are either beautiful pieces done by another craftsperson or wish to sell me a set of videos that I don't feel I can afford. Thanks to all, Don

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't know about online places,, but there are several older books that outline how to checker wood. Many can be found at libraries, or fairly cheap in odd book stores. Heck,, I probably have some info in some of my books. If I get time,,, maybe I can look into it & see if I do have any. If so,,, I'll see about copying the info for ya if you don't find something else.

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
The best reference out there is Monte Kennedy's book Chevkering and carving of gunsocks. It has alot of patterns and tells you exactly what to do. I have been checkering for about 3 years and still pick it up and reread it every now and then. Steve

pete44ru

Hunter
There is only one, the Gunstock Checkering School of Hard Knocks - believe me, when I tell you.

The Monte Kennedy book, or an NRA reprint of a checkering article they've ran in AR a few times, should get you started, though.

redeye

Bearcat
It is not all that hard to do. I've been checkering for 30+ years now. The hard part is making that first cut , after that you will get to feel the tools.

If you are going to checker grip panels, be sure your diamonds are vertical not horizontal. What I'm saying is the diamonds are a slightly longer than they are wide.

Get yourself a piece of scrap wood and practice laying out patterns and rounded shapes. My first practice job years ago was a broom handle.

Keep your tools and surface clean with an old toothbrush, take your time , and move the tools in short back and forth motions to avoid overruns. you will make plenty of mistakes , I still do quite often, but once you get the hang of it you will find it very relaxing and satisfying.

Don't get too good , your buddies will drive you crazy doing their guns !!!

I hope this helps in some small way.

Bill

Tallbald

Buckeye
I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond to my question. As a dedicated woodworker and handgun lover I believe you have helped me in my quest to add to my skills. Thanks again, Don