Any short torso people here?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
I'm gearing up for CCW but I'm admittedly new to the craft. The few holsters that I have just don't seem to fit my body type. I'm hoping to carry either a full size 1911, GP100 4", SR40c, or my LCR. The problem with the larger ones is if they either ride up under my armpit making it impossible to draw smooth, or if appendix carry when I sit my thigh either pops the gun out of the holster or about castrates me if wearing a full holster. The good folks at the Yeungling brewery played a small part in preventing that as well. The only somewhat comfortable carry that I've found is small of the back but I've read that's a bad idea. Should I just suck it up or am I missing a tip that experienced carry people know?

My advice has been given before. Buying any CCW holster without trying it on first is setting you up for failure and unhappiness. Hopefully you can find places to try them on first.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Small of the back makes it impossible to sit back in a car or on a chair; learned that along time ago!
Perhaps a shoulder holster would work?
CCW shoulder/sling bags and fanny packs may also work.

If the holsters you've found end up carrying the gun too high, you need to find a different style holster that carries the gun lower. I personally like Simply Rugged holsters for that reason. Even though I have a long torso, I have injuries in both shoulders that makes it difficult for me to reach a handgun when the holster holds the gun too high. The key is how high the belt holds the holster.

I'd also look into a vest (sometimes referred to as a "shoot me first vest").
Fortunately no one has been shot because they were wearing one to conceal their gun.

Check YouTube Massad Ayoob + shoot me first vest recently posted.

Last edited:
I've been told I have a 'short torso'. I also suffer from shoulder problems that cause serious difficulties drawing from a strong side holster. For the past 10 years I've carried in crossdraw holsters which solves the majority of these issues.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
You may have to find someone who can tailor make a custom holster specifically for you, instead of trying to find an off-the-shelf rig. And that may entail compromising on the gun model you carry, where on your body you can comfortably carry it, and even what kind of clothes you commonly wear.

I guess I'm getting there. All my life I've had a long torso at 6' 31/2" height. I know We shrink as we age so I've been reporting my height at 6'2 1/2". At the doc's office yesterday I had them check my height in my street shoes. 6' even!! Holy cow. I've lost over 3 1/2". I guess that explains why I have spinal stenosis. "I'm shriiinking." Also explains why it's getting more difficult to lift my arm high enough for a comfortable 4 o'clock draw.

I am not short torsoed but I am big bellied. IWB is not an option currently. OWB is better but the grip tends to stick out. I settled with my five shot 38 and pocket holster as being the most convenient option. Just a thought.

Get one from simply rugged that allows both strong side and cross draw. That gives you lots of placement options. Also consider OWB with a covering garment.

I carry OWB cross almost exclusively. Here a Hawaiian shirt is not even noticed. Fast, comfortable and concealable.

tunnug

Single-Sixer
Be careful with small of the back carry, if for whatever reason you fall backwards and land on your gun it can really hurt your spine, can be from just painful to really dangerous.