Any MKI Target collectors?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sakoluvr

Single-Sixer
I have recently became interested in the heavy barrel target models (MKI and MKII). I found a 1969 MKI 5.5" heavy barrel gun with the correct box. Heck, I want it to shoot but I like it not being found everywhere. What's a 96%+ gun going for these days.

I noticed the writing on the receiver seemed almost filled in or white in a picture of it. Is that correct?

Of course I have become interested in these and the prices are rising. Man, these were inexpensive not too too long ago!

Thanks folks.

sounds like a nice gun, around here the target MKI's either barrel length, go in the area of $250-275,less with no box and below 95 %.........as for the "white" letering, sounds like it was "accented" ( highlighted) with some of the filler that is available from Brownells, can be gold ,silver.....and lots of guys put this in the lettering and serial numbers, especially if they are taking pictures....so as to 'stand out'.....
can be removed with a bit of 'acetone' on a Q-tip & brass or nylon brush, clean it out....does not harm the bluing.

stikshooter

Bearcat
I bought a 1980 MKI 6 7/8 target in the box and correct papers and a few extras for $360.00 not long ago.
The reciever filled in with white is probably china pencil,I have done this on my garands and a few rugers.I just think it looks cool.You can remove it with rubbing alcohol if you want,I dont think it is factory,to my knowledge.

Eric...

Sakoluvr

Single-Sixer
Hey Dan, ever come across the Lipsey's MarII with the 4,5" barrel? Lemme know........

martyj

Blackhawk
I found mk1 in box with manual and wax paper. Boy was I surprised it was made in 70 and just about new.
Mk 1 is one of my favorite all time pistol especially the bull barrel.
Sure would like to have a red eagle one and am looking for one.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Martyj, They are my favorite gun also :wink:

2009RCAgunshow032.jpg

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey I have a little standard auto that was shipped from the factory 40 some years after it was made...just left the warehouse last year and it is MINT......seems one of the board members never picked up his guns the factory gave him....they just stacked them up at Southport over the years.....till some potato farmer acquired them last year....well seems I am not too far off the toll road and my fees for overnight lodging are quite reasonable if you happen to have a LARGE PILE of RUGERS to let me paw through :lol: :lol: :lol: I got the RST 4 (or it may be a 6) and a 2 digit S 44 40......that was all I could afford....so many guns and so little $CASH$....heck most all were "NM"'s anyways.....I got the Super to keep COOGS HAPPY.....I guess everyone should have at least 1 NM......RIGHT JACK :D :D :D see ya RR.

street

Hunter
If you are going to collect MK I or Standard Autos, here are 3 types that you will need for your collection.

(#1) Red Eagle Standard, serial number 3261, type 2, about 450 made.

(#2) Red Eagle Mark I, serial number 16354, about 2000 made.

(#3) Mark I, MK514, 5 1/4 in. barrel, Tapered Ear, serial number 27984, about 1400 made.

371536895.jpg

371536897.jpg

371536886.jpg

8pointer

Single-Sixer
I picked up a three digit Mark I a few months ago. Shipped in February 1951. The bluing is well worn and the eagle barely has any red remaining. The serious collector probably wouldn't have much interest in this pistol, but I consider it a prized possession.

Latest posts