Any Marbles Hatchet Collectors

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AJGUNNER

Hunter
I found yet another goody in my step fathers stuff while cleaning out the shop. I have a Marbles hatchet with the swing over safety blade cover. Just wondering if someone might be a collector and can help me out on determining a fair value. I thought about just hanging on to it, but I have waaaay too much stuff I am just sitting on. From what I have seen on-line it could be worth anywhere from $50 to $200. I am hoping someone can help me narrow this down. I'll get some pics up shortly.

tinman

Buckeye
A lot will depend on which version/model you have. Get on E-Bay and type in "Marbles Safety Axe". You will see prices from $44.00 for the newer re-released version up to $450.00 for one of the plastic handled models circa 1953-1960. Use Google, do some research to figure out exactly what you have and what condition it is in. I'm sure you'll determine an appropriate price range. :idea:

And to answer the title, I am not a collector, just a user......I generally don't collect stuff that ain't gonna get used and Marbles still makes some serviceable tools at really good prices. I have a handy camp axe from them along with axes/hatchets from Husqvarna, Hultafors and True Temper. Wood chopping is one of my favorite exercises....... :D

tinman

Buckeye
AJGUNNER said:
Went to get some photos and now I can't find it. I know I have it someplace. :(

Oh man!.......if you lose it....... :shock: ...........that automatically means its probably worth at least a million bucks.............. :roll:
Hope ya don't find it in the hands of a 12 year old being used to chop thru a cinder block........ :shock:

huntsman22

Blackhawk
not a collector, a user.....

IMG_1310.jpg

k22fan

Blackhawk
huntsman22 said:
not a collector, a user.....

I am a collector of shooters and hatchets that I use. I remember your picture that along with your axes included 5 or 6 Vaugh Rig Builders and other hatchets. Unless you have a lot of helpers you're stretching the number of hatchets beyond what you need.

BTW, my Vaugh Rig Builders are among my favorites. I found hunters axes like Marbles that are made out of flat stock to be so light and poorly balanced that they are useless.

Isn't commenting on someone having more hatchets than they can use or need .... kind of like making the same comment on their gun 'collection'?

I've never really been able to find a use for a hatchet... much prefer what I would consider a small axe more useful.

tinman

Buckeye
blume357 said:
I've never really been able to find a use for a hatchet... much prefer what I would consider a small axe more useful.

All depends on what your wanting to do. One of my very favorite hunting tools is a Hultafors Mini. Small enough to fit inside a daypack, stout enough to push thru a pelvic bone without a care and it will hold an edge sharp enough to skin with if needed......oh yeah, it'll chop some wood also. 8)

https://youtu.be/ol3DU9wN4Eg

http://www.hultafors.com/products/cutting/axes/trekking-axes/trekking-axe-mini-classic/

stevemb

Hunter
Blume, I agree. Never felt the need for a hatchet. If I needed something smaller n lighter than a Hudson Bay axe, might as well drop down to a machete or bush knife. I know, IMHO,YMMV, and all that. I do have a CaseXX hatchet/knife combo, with the sheath thats houses both. Left to me by an Uncle. Wonder what it's worth ? Since I have a 16ga M37 and a Colt PP 38, also from him, I may consider parting with it.

k22fan

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
Isn't commenting on someone having more hatchets than they can use or need .... kind of like making the same comment on their gun 'collection'?

No offense was intended. I was just questioning his statement that he does not collect hatchets. Note I called my accumulation of working hatchets a collection.

I don't use 27" boy's axes. I keep my two handed axe swing more accurate by using only one length of handle, the standard 36". One handed the accuracy of the swing is never and issue so I use hatchets with handles that vary in length.

I Primarily use them to split stove wood and kindling. I’ve found the most useful hatchet is a house ax. They are the combination of a 2 ¼ pound boys ax head and a 17” curved wood handle. They’re also sold as hearth axes. It’s worth spending a little more to get a forged head. Forgings are stronger than castings so they can have a thinner edge. Mine was $20 from at a local hardware store about 10 years ago. With a forged head they are probably $25 to $30 now.

Re handling a garage sale boys ax head is one way to get one but most hardware stores don’t carry house ax handles. The eye through the head is an intermediate size between a regular ax eye and a common hatchet. Locally a store that caters to timber industry workers sells the handles.

hoopp

Bearcat
Huntsman22 - I have to compliment your choice of Dozier and Marbles...........mine are with me quite a bit, always in my pack when I'm out in back.

Latest posts