Any Interest in My Old Model SBH?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

billyb

Bearcat
I bought this gun sight unseen. I knew it had the holster, and box, but when I picked it up yesterday, I got a pleasant surprise. The gun is a SBH made in early 1970. It has been converted to a transfer bar by Ruger, and the original parts were not returned. The gun was described as 90+ percent, but after pulling the cylinder pin, and checking every thing while at the gunsmiths, we discovered the gun is unfired.
The holster is a fancy tooled Cathey Enterpises fast draw type rig. It has never been worn outdoors, as it is absolutely perfect with no wear. It has 30 cartridge loops.
The gun has some blueing wear on the left side of the muzzle, I assume the previos owner did som fast draw practice. The cylinder has a faint line that is hard to see. The grips have a couple minor marks. The gun was cycled, but never fired.
My diemna is, I bought this gun intending to cut the barrel to 4 5/8ths to carry while upland hunting. Is this gun something to alter, or leave it as is?
Should I try and sell this rig, and just buy a new 4 5/8ths .44 special? I am not a Ruger collector, and the gun will only have value as a shooter to me.
Here are a couple pictures.
IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

Motex66

Single-Sixer
Post it in the classifieds with a price and the serial number and see if it sells. The belt would likely need to be sold seperatily. It needs a $150 to $200 worth of parts. The box adds value, but to some they wont buy because the frame is likely stamped under the front of the trigger guard to show the conversion has been done.
I'm sure some one will soon pm you with an offer. If it were mine I would pull out the conversion parts before they ring the cylinder more. Cut the barrel. Sell the box and holster to pay for oringal parts and have what I wanted.
John

billyb

Bearcat
There is no stamping under the front of the trigger guard. If I had an original parts set, I would have my smith convert it back.
Problem is, I am only looking for a shooter, and I know someone has more use for this one than I do.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
I would sell it if you really want that 4 5/8. Someone will likely make it worth your while. That is a nice Super.

captainkirk

americal

Hunter
I would NOT cut down this FINE super with box :) put in classifieds 8) my feelings--- way to good of a gun to cut down :shock: some forum members would like to help you out :D I do believe :!: If you tell the details of selling or trading :) Someone might send you a personal message if they are interested in your fine super.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
billyb":1d0sjb25 said:
There is no stamping under the front of the trigger guard. If I had an original parts set, I would have my smith convert it back.
Problem is, I am only looking for a shooter, and I know someone has more use for this one than I do.

Very nice SBH!!!! Heres a couple picture of the stamp for a converted gun.

Terry

003-17.jpg

002-17.jpg

oh the trial and tribulations of firearms ownership.....NICE old model, NICE package, and certainly a very NICE 'rig' but alll the wrong size for what YOU wanted........yes, you can cut it down, then you'd have to have the 'rig' redone top match the shortened barrel........nah, both too costly for a gun already converted...........convesin parts? top dollar for the Supers......hammer alone is lke $100.......soooo, do you put MORE money into this, to make it 'right" for YOU......or sell it to a collector, box and gun worth plenty to them and most of them already have the conversion parts kits "on hand"...then selll the rig to a cowboy type person, hope they have that waist size. and you're good to go......back and try and find a shorter barrel gun to actually use...they are out there.............gotta top and figure out both sids of this equation as to final ( total cost to you...)
good luck, and you'd have NO problem selling that gun and its box.......wish I had a short barreled one here already, we could trade.....ah, there is your "other' option , trade it off to someoe who just may have what YOU are looking for........ yessir, trials and tribulations...good luck

contender

Ruger Guru
I would not cut up this fine package. I'd sell it & buy the one you want,, it'll be cheaper AND you'll save a nice OM for future generations to enjoy.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Dave T":246ieo78 said:
It isn't really an "Old Model" any more, is it?

Dave

Damn right it is! Parts is parts........

A Collector needing a gun with this one's characteristics, i.e. s/n range, would be very happy to add this example to their collection.

JMHO,

flatgate

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
Trade it.

you had planed to modify it. maybe somebody has exactly what you want.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
flatgate":1ptjwk0y said:
Dave T":1ptjwk0y said:

Dave

A Collector needing a gun with this one's characteristics, i.e. s/n range, would be very happy to add this example to their collection.

JMHO,

flatgate

I "need" one in this range. PM if you decide on a price, or post it for sale.

luvs2hunt62

Blackhawk
I had the same problem a year ago--a SBH old model, unconverted, in 99% con, and i was about to cut it down. My 'smith pointed out the cost of such a project, so I sold it, bought a somewhat cosmetically challenged stainless w a 7 1/2" barrel, and had it cut, polished, a Hi-vis front sight added, aND THE CYLINDER BEVELLED TO 60 DEGREES, AND HAD A FEW BUCKS LEFT OVER.
here's the finished product.
44magmods001Medium.jpg

44magmods003Medium.jpg

Dave T

Single-Sixer
flatgate":1p8fjkxh said:
Dave T":1p8fjkxh said:

Dave

JMHO,

flatgate

fg, you're right about parts being parts. My take is that if the "parts" inside aren't "old model" then the gun isn't a "old model" but rather a "converted" old model...and they are not the same thing.

Guess YMMV!

Dave