Any info on this revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ArmedGinger

Bearcat
So I was forwarded her by Ruger Customer Service. Last week I purchased this used Navy Arms/Uberti 1851 Colt Navy Reproduction. It wasn't until after I bought it that I noticed this inscription on the back. Now, I've tried contacting Navy Arms but sadly they went out of business in 2001, American Handgunner magazine but have yet to receive a reply, and I also messaged Ruger about it and they sent me here. I don't really believe this is real but a person never knows and that's why I'm trying to get more info. At first I thought maybe this was a commemorative piece but can't find another one like it (gun engravings and/or the inscription). I know it was in the owner's collection for at least the past 20 years before they passed so I can't even ask the original owner. I also know that Bill Ruger won the OAHA in 1975 so it would make sense he would have made the "top ten" the year before. Anyways, enough with the talking and here are some pictures.

EwFPc2Q.jpg

npnU1hq.jpg

nice gun, and without the "provenance" unknown as to the whys and wherefores but you may get some info from American Handgunner yet, as they presented this stuff back then for the ""Outstanding of the year" etc., and I do not recall what may have been given to others in the "top ten" awarded, guess this was one of the "presentations" just as it says...I do know in 1975 MR Ruger got a NICE BIG trophy, but who knows what or where the family may have done with that kind of "stuff"....again, "nice gun" and as Ale-8 noted "a keeper".........:cool::rolleyes:;)

contender

Ruger Guru
If you can verify things from the American Handgunner Award group about this gun & all,, it'd be a great gun to enjoy!
I'm going to inquire to a well known gentleman about this.

ArmedGinger

Bearcat
nice gun, and without the "provenance" unknown as to the whys and wherefores but you may get some info from American Handgunner yet, as they presented this stuff back then for the ""Outstanding of the year" etc., and I do not recall what may have been given to others in the "top ten" awarded, guess this was one of the "presentations" just as it says...I do know in 1975 MR Ruger got a NICE BIG trophy, but who knows what or where the family may have done with that kind of "stuff"....again, "nice gun" and as Ale-8 noted "a keeper".........:cool::rolleyes:;)

This was something either given out by OAHA or it was something that Navy Arms just did themselves. But sadly Navy Arms is gone so there will be no answers from them.

anachronism

Single-Sixer
OAHA is gone too, they dissolved some years back.
https://www.bizapedia.com/mi/outstanding-american-handgunner-awards-foundation.html

The "Top Ten" part, coupled with the 1974 date leads me to suspect that this was a consolation award for not winning first place. Bill Ruger won the OAHA the following year, 1975. Also, the OAHA was not related to American Handgunner magazine, if you're looking in that direction however, you may be able to get in contact with John Taffin, one of the surviving award winners, I believe he was one of the Directors for OAHA. He writes for American Handgunner.