Any holster suggestions for SS Hunter?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I'm trying to find a good quality leather holster for my SS Hunter (7.5"). I just need something to secure it on my hip when I'm in the squirrel woods.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
This is a dumb (yet smart) question but....what caliber of SS Hunter to you take with you into the squirrel woods.....rimfire or big bore?

I only ask this because sometimes I go squirrel hunting with larger calibers. It's amazing how sometimes I don't even tear up small game, with the larger calibers, any more than you do while using a rimfire. I usually don't hunt with an expanding bullet out of a revolver. So, this is probably an important variable when it comes to this sort of thing. Anyway, sorry I wasn't any help with answering your question. However, I had to ask.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
Well, it's illegal in Arkansas to use anything other than rimfire for squirrel hunting, so I use a .22 LR/WMR.

Also, I don't believe that Ruger makes the SS Hunter in any caliber other than .22 or .17, but I could be wrong.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
For some reason I was thinking that you meant stainless steel when you typed SS. It never even came to mind that you meant Single Six. I had mental block for some reason. Sorry about that.

Anyway, nobody has anwsered your question yet. So, I'll get something started with a suggestion. How about a shoulder holster that positions your gun under the armpit of your weak-side? I like this set-up for hunting. It offers decent protection for your gun and it puts it right at "the ready" for a quick shot if need be.

the Black Spot

Bearcat
gander mountain or academy sports sells the hunter brand holsters that fit ok and have a strap with a snap to hold the revolver in.

oklahoma leather has some good low priced products as well.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I work at the Academy in Sherwood. I'm usually behind the gun counter. I think I'll look into a nice shoulder rig for it. Thanks.

Yeah, I figured that's what you thought. I should have clarified that.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I don't use a leather holster for my hunting handguns. I use a Bianchi Hush System cross chest set up. Padded nylon is lighter than leather and offers a bit more protection from weather (I have often found myself hunting in the rain or snow and Nylon just flat seems to work better for me).

The Bianchi has a detachable full flap that is often of great utility value when hunting in bad weather or thick brush.

It works extremely well with my scoped deer hunting revolvers (a Model 29 S&W 8 3/8" with scope and a Ruger RedHawk 7½" with scope) and these large revolvers carry well in that rig.

The rig works equally well with a TC Contender with 10" barrel.

FWIW
Dale53

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I have a 7.5" SRH in 44 mag that I have carried in a leather belt holster, Bianchi I think. It was O.K. going to the bear stand & for short walks but you'll never forget it's there. If I was carrying it much I'd want to spread the weight better, maybe with a shoulder rig.

FYI, I just received a 'simply-rugged' holster for my 4 5/8" 45 Blackhawk. I am VERY pleased with it. I think it will wear like iron. The blackhawk fits great & I can see there is no need for any retention strap. Unless you hang & jump upside down the gun will never come out(even then it may not). Just for grins I checked the fit with my 4" model 65 S&W and it was plenty good enough for woods carry, my 4" Ruger sp101 22 also fit, though not quite as well. I broke out my larger/thicker Carhartt belt for testing & it carried very well.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I like the idea of the Bianchi nylon holster, too. I might get both the Bianchi and a Simply Rugged. I'll just have to decide which one I want first. I like that the Simply Rugged can be either a hip holster or a chest holster. I like cross-draw holsters, too, so I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for one that matches my taste.

ibboatin28

Single-Sixer
If you buy one of the flap holsters for a 6.5 and remove the bottom plug they fit really nice.. They stick out a little but they are still protected..[/code]