Any feedback on Windows 10 at this point in time?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thanks TitanX, I have the same questions. I am using Windows 7 still, but keep being offered the Free Windows 10. The way I look at things- if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :evil: OTOH sometimes you have to keep up with the herd to keep from being trampled. :p
gramps

Specs

Single-Sixer
I installed Win10 on my 3 computers and it runs just fine. I have it set up so that it seems exactly like Win7. I am not using some of the new stuff like Cortana, etc. It seems stable and fast, and so far no problems with older software. The only reason I went with it is to avoid paying for it later when Win7 is no longer supported. 2 desktops from Win7 and 1 laptop from Win8.1 (ugh) and no problem to speak of. Startup and desktop isnow old style and usable without tiles andjunk.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
gramps said:
Thanks TitanX, I have the same questions. I am using Windows 7 still, but keep being offered the Free Windows 10. The way I look at things- if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :evil: OTOH sometimes you have to keep up with the herd to keep from being trampled. :p
gramps

Same here I'm reluctant to make any changes. Pretty stupid when it comes to these gadgets. ps

longspurr

Single-Sixer
I will make the change when I have time to do so in Dec. I am keeping an eye on Windows Secrets for the good and bad of Win 10. What I am reading is the change is good, but depending on how thick your tin foil hat is, you can go in and turn OFF all or most of the MS snooping.

Windows Secrets Newsletter • Issue 501 • 2015-10-08

Dan in MI

Staff member
Make SURE you want it before you click on the "free windows 10 upgrade."

My littel window had a "click here for more info" button. It didn't give me any info. It launched the conversion. I wasn't ready, hadn't backed anything up, and off to the races it went.

It moved and re-arranged and did all kinds of fun things that made me more than mad. I gave it about three days and did the 30 day uninstall.

It may be just fine and may allow settings like an older version, but the way mine took over without letting me make any selections (which I am told it will do in a normal install) I want nothing to do with it.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I'm amazed at the number of people that buy into the "when such and so is
no longer supported" . . . stuff. I have an old laptop that is running Winderz 98
that is still doing fine. I keep it around for a very few specific applications and
nothing else. It just keeps on chugging along. :shock:

Let's be honest, if you are in an old (more like OLD) OS that is running after
almost twenty years, just how likely is it for that old code to go belly up?
Can you say NOT! :roll:
In point of fact, it is MORE likely to keep on running (can you say STABLE?).

I'm more amazed at those not wanting to change or fear about something new or different. For me at least part of the fun of a new gadget is it's exactly that. New, not the same old same thing.

dougader

Hunter
I have been hating W8 since we got this laptop. Ugh. If 10 puts it back like 7 I'll be happy. I just don't to screw anything up while my wife is using this machine for her college classes. Can you say "Dead Man?"

Specs

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
I'm more amazed at those not wanting to change or fear about something new or different. For me at least part of the fun of a new gadget is it's exactly that. New, not the same old same thing.

An old OS is fine until you want to run a modern printer or install some new AV software. I agree, I like to keep up with the times.

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
I'm 75 years old and have been running 10 for several months now with no problem. It looks like 7 but without the problems.

My Wife however has had problems because of certain security programs she runs due to her law practice. She is running a Windows Surface, which cost quite a bit of money, and she uses encryption programs that don't seem to run well on it. Her desk top however is not having the same problems.

RugerHound

Hunter
My system keeps offering a free upgrade but so far I've resisted. I was made aware (by some IT folks I know) that Win 10 is absolutely loaded down with spyware that cannot be disengaged. Even to the point where the speakers record what you say and are silently transmitted to Microsoft and God only knows where else.

I'm not sure I want to tolerate that kind of intrusion. I KNEW there was something wrong with it when they offer the full blown version for free.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/

Trucker

Single-Sixer
First off, Win 8 was and is the junkiest Win O I've ever had the misfortune to have to work with ... and that goes back to pure dos. So, I gladly upgraded and, yes, Win 10 is definitely an upgrade from Win 8. Frankly, I would have been more than happy had they retrograded to Win XP!
TitanX said:
1) Is there an option for anything close to the old standard desktop?

Can't say since I'm perfectly satisfied with the Win 10 desktop and haven't looked for anything different.
TitanX said:
2) Is the new embedded browser as error free and secure as they claim? (please don't tell me about alternative browsers - I know the options).

Dunno since I use Firefox exclusively and have for years. Firefox did have a bit of a problem Win 10 for awhile. But they've updated and now it works fine.

TitanX said:
3) Is there a performance gain or loss over 8.1 in the real world?

Absolutely! Difference is night vs day!

TitanX said:
4) What kind of backward support does it have for older apps, that may not have been updated specifically for Windows 10? Again, real world feedback, please.

The only app problem [other than the one I mentioned with Firefox] is that with my Norton's 360 I've lost one of the optional features. Norton says they're working on it.

TitanX said:
5) Other comments pro or con, things to watch out for, etc.?

A guru I'm not. But neither am I a computer illiterate. So take it for whatever it's worth to you.

Kevin said:
Kevin, I don't have a lot of time to waste. Especially when it isn't necessary or it is for the good of someone else, and not me.
gramps

contender

Ruger Guru
I like a few others here still have Win 7. I'm able to work it & do the things I want to do. Every time there is a change, an upgrade or whatever,,, I resist. Miss Penny tried to upgrade her computers with Win 10, and after several days, several tries, long hours of it running & not installing we took them to a computer geek. One problem was our service provider being a "slow" one. (AT & T) but it took an act of God to get it done & she's usually capable of doing a lot on computers.
So far, here at home & at work she's enjoying Win 10,,, but she is resisting the thoughts of trying to upgrade my computer.
I'll be investing in a second computer in the next 6 months or so,,, so I'll wait & see how it works compared to my current one.

pete44ru

Hunter

FWIW, The day before yesterday, my 10-year-old :shock: HP/Compaq ($198 from WallyWorld, back then) laptop (that I never upgraded :roll: ) finally died :( , so I went to WW yesterday & bought a new $298 HP-15 Notebook PC - which came with Windows 10 already installed.

It's been working smoothly (no glitches) so far - but during setup I installed (free) the newest version of Explorer, on the advise of my ( free, from my ISP) McAfee Security Suite.

So far, every one of the HP and/or MS "customer support" & "help" buttons lead to something the respective entities want to sell - call them the "no help at all" desks.

I have figured out how to open a 2nd browser (for easier copy/paste pic-posting) by right-clicking on the toolbar's Task View icon, and will eventually figure out how to create a desktop with a background of my choosing a (personal pic).

My husband has his Mac with bootcamp set up as a dual boot system, OSX(700GB) and Windows 10(300 GB) because he has some Adobe software he has used for years. So far Windows 10 has worked perfectly for him, no crashes or issues.

winterwood

Single-Sixer
Not an issue for everyone, but I found I couldn't download multiple pictures from my Konica-Minolta Z series cameras. When I questioned our "Geek Squad" tech from Best Buys, he said it was one of the inherent qualities of the Windows 10 and that the Lenovo we purchased could not be changed without a very expensive program update :cry: . I do a lot of Photoshop work and want to be able to upload more than one photo at a time. I have returned to a Windows XP that I had for my pictures. Otherwise, the Windows 10 seems OK.

bigbob

Single-Sixer
I will tell you what I have found. My wife upgraded from w-7 to w-10 on her unit and it went fine & I can use it about 90%, I bought a NEW one with windows 10 on it and I cannot do ANYTHING on it. Example: At my office I SCAN to the computer and then use the scan in an e-mail and can PRINT it also. On the wife's, YES. On the new one I CANNOT print the scan even though it is sitting right on the icon screen, I am taking MY unit back and getting one with w-7 and waiting until I HAVE to update it and hopefully it will be as user friendly as the wife's is now. 2nd example: I called Costco and asked why is a windows 10 computer MORE expensive than the SAME unit with windows 10 on it, she said because the w-7 program is a COMPLETE program and the w-10 is just a basic START UP program it COSTS LESS TO MANUFACTURE AND INSTALL in the new ones. That is all I can tell you

isaactc

Bearcat
I agree with Dan in Mi. I installed Win 10 and hated it. I could never find anything when I wanted it. Maybe I am too old for this, but I switched back to my Windows 7 Home Premium and am very happy.