Any body mess with "Cat Sneeze" loads?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I've wanted to try a slow loaded round ball load in my NEF single shot .45 colt for a while. Would love a nice quiet load for varmints that wouldn't disturb the neighbors.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
I do not recall the charge or velocities, but my friend and I would load 500 S&W down to where, if you looked closely, you could see the bullets fly downrange. (Trail Boss and Unique powders for the low-end loads.) He called them "couse-fart" loads. I don't know what that said about his attitude towards felines.

When someone at the range expressed an interest in shooting his 4" X-Frame Smith (and if we thought they might be surprised by full-power loads) we would let them experience increasingly powerful loads. A number of experienced shooters were self-aware and free of toxic machismo enough stop before they got to the thumb-dislocating levels.
Correction to post #20 (I could not edit.)

I meant "MOUSE-FART" loads.

Also, one must take great caution not to go so slow that a bullet might not make it out to the end of the muzzle.

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
Correction to post #20 (I could not edit.)

I meant "MOUSE-FART" loads.

Also, one must take great caution not to go so slow that a bullet might not make it out to the end of the muzzle.
The only in depth article I read is one on an apparently discontinued supermarket Swedish Mauser blog (Mentioned earlier). The writer discussed Finnish shooters that could not afford to reload Mosins and so just used a few grains of 7.7 x 54 R powder and a buckshot (0 buckshot is 0.32") for gallery loads. I had a .35 Whelen at time. I realized that .35 Whelen is just about same diameter as a .38 (.357) and .36 cal Navy Colt. I tried the powder levels and wadding suggested in blog and they were accurate at 25 m. Case size of 7.62 x 54 R and .35 Whelen are similar. Do not have the article anymore.

As also noted, I have German army .22LR adapter kit for my pre ban HK91 so have been able to practice at indoor ranges after a lot of whining