Any .30 Carbine love?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Acorn

Buckeye
I took a little trip to a shop that has a fantastic used gun department compared to other local shops. I spied a NM .30 Carbine Blackhawk that looked new in the display case. After debating with myself for a while, the "Hey You only live once" side of my brain won out and I asked to see it. It has been fired but I doubt it's had many down the pipe. A very faint turn line, no blue loss, with the plastic case and papers. I was hooked. I've wanted one for a while since passing on an OM with an extra cylinder for maybe .32-20? I read here that I can fire .32-20 out of these newer models without an extra cylinder. I can't wait to bail it out of (gun)jail.
What kind of velocities are you that hand load getting out of these?

veeman

Single-Sixer
I don't know about velocities, nor care, but I'll tell you what, reloading either the 30 carbine or the 32-20 in pistol powders and shooting without all that noise and fire is alot more fun. I use more 32-20 brass, with powders like 231 and bullseye and .309 cast bowwits. Much fun to shoot.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
I bought a used NM 30carb and it was hitting high no matter what I did. Rear sight all the way down, different bullets, different powders, nothing worked. I finally sent it back to Ruger and it came back with a higher sight, and the gun had been reblued. It looked brand new. No charge. Thank you Ruger.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Have an old model BH .30 carbine that was made in 1967 and it is the most accurate BH that i own. They are a lot fun to shoot and if you like lots of noise, you wont be disappointed.

hittman

Staff member
I don't know a thing about different bullets and such.
I do know my OM with a 50xx serial number is a hoot to shoot!

Certainly not the most accurate OM I have but it is fun.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Love em!

It's the old school 327 Federal! The three most distinct and impressive characteristics of the 30 Blackhawk are--Muzzle Blast ( NEVER forget hearing protection with this one!)--Muzzle flash, a more than impressive fireball with every shot using milsurp ammo--and finally I love that unique barrel taper on this model.

I was a skeptic in my early years as it certainly was not a big bore, but now I have an old model as well as a new model and would hate to part with either!

Ron

hittman

Staff member
trapperon said:
The three most distinct and impressive characteristics of the 30 Blackhawk are--Muzzle Blast ( NEVER forget hearing protection with this one!)--Muzzle flash, a more than impressive fireball

Agreed and if the .30 cal trips your trigger you should have a Hawkeye too!

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have killed two deer with the Speer 110 FNHP bullet and a max charge of H110 . The one I had was very accurate and like the others have said ,with a max load of H110 it will give you a boom and flash to be proud of !

I've got an unconverted OM myself. Serial 50-197xx. Mine is definitely in the "shoots way high" category. I didn't really want to change anything or send it back to Ruger... but I also couldn't remember how far to hold under things... so it sits in the safe, resting for the day that somebody wants it more than I do!

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Can't wait to pick up mine. A three screw with a low serial number. Now I'm really psyched hearing how much fun it is to shoot.

wdodd

Bearcat
Yep, shooting .30 Carbine was so much fun, just had to buy a second one. You know, as in one for each hand. What a blast!!!!!