Any 17 hmr revolver accuracy mavens out there?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

m657

Buckeye
Looking at the 17 hmr Hunter; haven't seen any real data on just HOW accurate IS this model?

Comments/personal experience/observations solicited.

Tell me the real story before it's too late!!!

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
While I don't have the "Hunter" model, I do have a Single Six in .17 HMR that a fellow forum member gave to me (Again, thank you Calthrop).

Since then, my life's been in a bit of "shambles" in many different respects, and my time for shooting paper has been more or less limited. For that matter, I haven't even been posting here much in the last several months, and I've missed the good folks here.

Anyway, while I've shot it a bit, it's not truly enough to know exactly what this revolver is capable of. From what I've seen so far, I can keep shots inside of 1.5 inches at 25 yards pretty dependably. With more practice, I'm pretty sure I could improve on that. A better set of sights on it wouldn't hurt for shooting tight groups, but the factory sights aren't bad for hunting purposes.

And I tend to hunt far more than I shoot targets.

We're having some wonderful weather right now, and it'd be great to get out and do some shooting, Unfortunately, I have a problem with my right foot that needs to heal up a bit first.

I'd love to be out rabbit hunting right now with that little revolver. :)

Daryl

COR

Blackhawk
The ammo is the weak point IMHO. I just could not find a load that worked consistently well. I finally traded it off and went back to the 22LR/Mag. I might have given up prematurely but I owned it for about a year and a half. I had to do the same for my 22 but I found consistency with it.

Those little .17 caliber holes on paper also make a 2" group look like it's 10". If you find the right ammo I would buy all I could from the same lot #.