Anti-Revolver Bias?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
I kinda categorize revolvers, bolt actions and lever actions with flintlocks and wheel locks. OK if I want a challenge but no modern purpose. Well Revolvers are ok for people who don't know the jam clearance drills for modern firearms I guess.
Or for reloaders who don't like searching for their brass up in the woods.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
I have more Semi's than wheels, but I keep a 4" Mod 10 S & W by the bed, Because at 3am when the window is getting broken, It will not stovepipe or jam, no safety or magazines to worry about, the wife is very comfortable shooting it in the dark and it will get me to the closet where Mr Mossberg and his friends reside.
Revolvers are fun to shoot,

I have more Semi's than wheels, but I keep a 4" Mod 10 S & W by the bed, Because at 3am when the window is getting broken, It will not stovepipe or jam, no safety or magazines to worry about, the wife is very comfortable shooting it in the dark and it will get me to the closet where Mr Mossberg and his friends reside.
Revolvers are fun to shoot,
Here at both of our nightstands it is similar for the same reasons. Mine is my GP100 4" and my husband's is the S&W 38/44 HD both loaded with .38 Special FBI loads and also with the Mossberg 590 within 10 feet.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Quoting part of a post on another forum : "........ to the point where revolvers are a niche with mostly collectors and diehards.".
I have an extreme difference of opinion with this for so many reasons, but I'd like to know the thoughts of those with more experience than I. Do you think revolvers are heading into wall-hanger land?
I've heard a lot of people at pistol matches say revolvers don't belong, then I beat their scores and they want to see my revolver and try it out.

I have owned and competed with autos but my revolver takes my heart. I don't thing there will be a demise of revolvers. I alway suggest them for a newbie to try when they are just starting out. Some will never be able to run the slide back because they aren't strong enough. These people need a revolver.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
My Current bedside is a 7" 357 sig with a 30rnd and 2 reloads, a 7.62 bullpup and a Mossberg pump full of slugs. I'm going to be replacing the pump with a 12ga bullpup semi with 10 3" slugs and 2 reloads.

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
The trend is to autoloaders and to accessorize
Screenshot_20230122_074356_Gallery.jpg

One aspect of the semi over the revolver is that you can usually become a better shot with a semi a lot easier than with a revolver. To shoot a string with a revolver involves 6 double action trigger pulls- accuracy and speed takes training. But a semi takes the equivalent of single action trigger pulls. Much easier to master and much easier to run at speed.

Mike J

Hunter
I own several semi-autos but only one revolver. It is an old Dan Wesson model 15 that I got out of a pawn shop back in the 90's. I honestly believe it is the most accurate handgun I own. I also like the way it looks. I even like the way the bluing is worn. It shows honest use.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I used to laugh at the “youngins” at the range in TN that would shoot at 6” steel falling plates with a semiautomatic and miss more than they hit. Some comment about how short barrel handguns (3-1/2 to 5”) were inaccurate. After they stepped out, I would shoot my 2” LCR in 327 and run 5 in a row several times. So much for that.

I like semi-automatic guns also but if I need something that will for sure work, I pick up a revolver. I have 10 to 1 revolvers over semi’s.

32Magfan

Hvymax

Blackhawk
One aspect of the semi over the revolver is that you can usually become a better shot with a semi a lot easier than with a revolver. To shoot a string with a revolver involves 6 double action trigger pulls- accuracy and speed takes training. But a semi takes the equivalent of single action trigger pulls. Much easier to master and much easier to run at speed.
I honestly couldn't believe how fast I can run my Max 9 with the Crimson Trace. Not only that I was amazed with the accuracy from a mouse gun.

Laserbait

Single-Sixer
Along similar lines was when I was turning 18 my Dad said he would buy me my first handgun that was a new one. I picked a GP100 but mine is 4". I love the grips and the bulk make even full power .357 load very easy to handle!
Ha! Yea, the dang GP100 bug bit me so hard, I have 3", 4" 6" and 327 Federal, 38 Special, 357 Mags and a 44 Special. I don't really like the barrel lines of the 22 models, so I don't think I'll be getting one of those. But, never say never! :D

Laserbait

Single-Sixer

But, if you learned to shoot with a DA revolver first, semi autos are a breeze after that!

bowzette

Bearcat
I have my gaggle of Glocks and a 1911 Commander in 9mm. But like some of the post above, at my bedside is a Smith model 65-6, 3", RB. I like the BB 158 gr FBI load. I bought it 7-8 years ago off GB. The case is marked "Custom Shop" which I assume is/was the Performance Shop? It is super tight, hammer bobbed to be DA only, and a great trigger. I haven't seen one for sale since. I only shoot DA revolvers, DA. If I want to shoot a revolver SA, I shoot a SA only revolver and pretend I'm a 5'5" John Wayne.