Anti-Revolver Bias?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hvymax

Blackhawk
The only thing I hunted deer with for over 40 years we're muzzleloaders. I honestly wasn't even pressed about modern firearms until Bill Clinton started banning them. I still need a Matchlock and a Wheel lock.

Attachments

• IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    891.9 KB · Views: 14

davevabch

Single-Sixer
Revolvers, the most KISS firearm in the world. So simple to use, no need to buy 10 magazines, and they are so dang fun to shoot!
I am a avid gun enthusiast, Been shooting weekly for decades. Have many semi autos, love them but as Hickcock45 said "There is just something about them". You have to shoot them to understand. The Internet crap of light trigger, short resets, high round count is the product of so much nonsense.
Learn to shoot a revolver well and you will be about to shoot anygun well. And that comes by frequent training with one. I have a lot of 22.cals and love plinking. What is my favorite of all time? Ruger LCR22

vito

Hunter
Back in 1986 I owned one gun, an old 9mm semi that I had never fired, knew nothing about, and kept it in my bedside table for home defense. Obviously I was not into guns at all at that time. That one gun was stolen in a home burglary, and the next day I went out to buy a new gun so that I would own at least something with which I could defend myself and my family. Looking at the dozens of different handguns in the showcase at the store, the one that attracted my eye was a S&W Model 19, nickel, 4 inch barrel. It just looked and felt like what a handgun was supposed to be. I still own that gun, among many others, and its the only gun that I own that has any sentimental value to me. There is just something about a good revolver that inspires confidence.

And while my EDC is a semi auto, sometimes when running out for a quick errand or something similar, it is the S&W 642 that I grab, in its Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. Disappears in my pocket, and I have absolute confidence it will go boom when I pull the trigger. The ONLY downside is the 5 round capacity but most of the time I am ok with that.

KIR

Blackhawk
My first was a Ruger Single Six Convertible .22/.22 Mag. and after my oldest son wanted it and I gave it to him, I really missed it, so last year I got a New Model. I love that I can shoot the mags through it. I had a GP-100 which my youngest son liked so he got that one. Currently looking for a Pietta six shooter. I have a few semi-autos, but for taking my time and working on my aim, there is nothing like a six-shooter.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Quoting part of a post on another forum : "........ to the point where revolvers are a niche with mostly collectors and diehards.".
I have an extreme difference of opinion with this for so many reasons, but I'd like to know the thoughts of those with more experience than I. Do you think revolvers are heading into wall-hanger land?
In my safe there are 3 1911's and a mauser 32 (grandfathers gun) . Vastly outnumbering autoloaders by a large margin are revolvers. I carry a revolver as a concealed carry. Call me a die hard or collector but I shoot a revolver much better and I have never had one fail to fire or jam in 55 years. So they are not ancient relics to me.

kmoore

Buckeye
There just plain different either can work for any reason/purpose a person chooses a handgun. As long as your picking comparing uses say plinking with a .22lr revolver or semi- auto. Or using a 9mm or 38 spl for home defense. Hunting big game with a .44 mag or 10mm, on and on.
Because I own something never makes it the best. We are all intitled to our opinions. Revolvers have been around since (fill in the blank). Who cares what others think, there will always be some on the web who will criticize or argue for the sole reason to stir the pot. If you really care what others think, ask the question and use your free will to make up your own mind. You can defend your point as others defend theirs.
I was the last person at a PD with about 120 cops that used a revolver, why would I do that? I was not in patrol and not taking police calls for service. A S&W model 60 worked fine. I was laughed at by some and wowed others. It didn't matter, if anyone shot under 100% they had to do a reshoot. I had to rershoot using the .40 a couple of times, but never with the 38 or 9mm. If I was back in patrol the carry weapon would be without a doubt, be Glock model 17 9mm or 22 in .40 cal. I qualified yearly with both revolver and Glock. The last few years I used the 9mm not the .40. I carry a revolver or semi auto for CCW . Just depends on what I think is the best for what I will be doing that day and I have several of each to choose from.
Looking up prices and what's made nowadays the semi auto is the winner.
Go to a pickup forum and see the weekly question. "Should I buy a pickup with a diesel or gasser engine I want to get a RV". After about 20 years of reading the same question and the poster getting the same answers, I don't waste my time with them. Oh, I use a 1 ton diesel for that roll.
It's almost like the semi- auto vs revolver question. It will be other's opinions. To give an honest answer we need intended uses, skill set, money willing to spend, etc etc.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
I like revolvers, especially when I don't want to go chasing brass all over creation. If you do all your shooting inside on a tile range then I can see the attraction of the spray and pray spitters.

hittman

Staff member
I like my semi-autos too, just not as much.
Many times at our outdoor range I lay out an 8x10 tarp to catch most of the brass.

A few years ago I visited the range a day or two after they’d held a class. Nobody policed their brass. The guy who owned the range also did reloading for me.

I think I picked up 500 or 600 9mm brass that day. I tried to give it to the range owner because technically …. It should be his if it was abandoned. He told me I could keep it so I had him reload it all for me.

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
...I think I picked up 500 or 600 9mm brass that day. I tried to give it to the range owner because technically …. It should be his if it was abandoned. He told me I could keep it so I had him reload it all for me.

It's always fun getting free brass, especially indoors where it doesn't get all covered/filled with mud & crud!

Years ago (when ammo was cheap ;^), I was working in southern New Mexico. The feds would sell sand, gravel, caliche, etc. out of pits on BLM land, and a lot of folks would shoot in those pits (the pit wall made a great backstop). I think I picked up thousands of 9mm cases in different pits: most folks just left them on the ground, because the cost of reloading 9mm at the time was almost as much as buying factory ammo. Took me a while to clean it up, but it was still fun to get brass for free!
:)

Goldstar225

Single-Sixer
IMO revolvers will never go away. As a percentage of sales its been obvious for years that semi-autos are dominate on the market though. I own about an equal number of each. The semi-auto is my primary choice for carry simply because it gives me more capability over a revolver in a similiar size/weight handgun. I prefer shooting revolvers and I use them as my field guns. People tend to grab onto advancement. Cap and ball revolvers replaced single shots, cartridge firing single actions replaced them, double action revolvers replaced S/A revolvers and now semi-autos are displacing revolvers.

vito

Hunter
One reason that revolvers are less popular is that the reliability difference that used to exist between revolvers and semi has certainly lessened. Revolvers from reputable manufacturers are inherently reliable, but unlike 40 or more years ago, semis are quite reliable as well especially if the user keeps the gun well maintained and uses appropriate ammunition. And when the typical semi carried 7 or 8 rounds, the difference between that gun and a 6 shot revolver was not very significant. But as semis gained capacity with double stacked mags, and obviously the revolvers stayed at 6 for the most part, that aspect of the guns became quite significant. I don't think revolvers will ever totally disappear, but I doubt that they will ever become as common as semis anymore.

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
One reason that revolvers are less popular is that the reliability difference that used to exist between revolvers and semi has certainly lessened...

Another point that's been important to me (don't know about anybody else) - a lot of auto pistols are just a bit easier to clean than a comparable revolver. Either one has a single barrel, but the revolver has 5, 6, 7, 8 or more chambers. Not a big deal, but I dislike firearms that are a chore to clean!

On the other hand, some auto pistols can be a pain to disassemble/reassemble, which can balance out the differences in actual cleaning.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Another point that's been important to me (don't know about anybody else) - a lot of auto pistols are just a bit easier to clean than a comparable revolver. Either one has a single barrel, but the revolver has 5, 6, 7, 8 or more chambers. Not a big deal, but I dislike firearms that are a chore to clean!

On the other hand, some auto pistols can be a pain to disassemble/reassemble, which can balance out the differences in actual cleaning.
While I do not own any semis, I do own several Ruger SA guns, and one GP100 (two .357 Mag's and one .45 Colt) and all are 6 cyclinder. They do make a couple of 8 cylinder revolvers now. But I always clean my guns after shooting them, but I do not agree that they are harder or take longer to clean. On these revolvers, I run the metal brush with a small amount of cleaner fluid down the barrel, and then into each cylinder chamber. This takes maybe 1-2 minutes. Then I run a small cloth with oil down all of the openings again. This takes may 1 minute to switch to, and then 1-2 minutes again to run thru all the openings. So, cleaning a gun takes maybe 4-6 min total. In addition, I can easily tell how clean each chamber is, including the barrel with simply putting my finger nail at the end of each chamber, which reflects the light around me into the chamber. How easy is it to check the barrel on a semi?

In addition to the cleaning aspect, you can tell if ta revolver is loaded at all or not in about 2 seconds, by either removing the cylinder on SA guns, or just spinning the wheel on any revolver type. To me, this makes revolvers a LOT safer than semi's.