Anti-Revolver Bias?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
Quoting part of a post on another forum : "........ to the point where revolvers are a niche with mostly collectors and diehards.".
I have an extreme difference of opinion with this for so many reasons, but I'd like to know the thoughts of those with more experience than I. Do you think revolvers are heading into wall-hanger land?

gunman42782

Hunter
I don't think revolvers will ever die. Last two guys I took shooting had never shot a gun in their entire lives, one was from Cuba, the other from Guatamala. I started them out with .22s and by the time we were done they both shot .44 mag and done very well. We shot ARs, Mini 14s, shotguns, pistols and revolvers. The most excited they got was when I pulled out that Super Blackhawk!

Hvymax

Blackhawk
I kinda categorize revolvers, bolt actions and lever actions with flintlocks and wheel locks. OK if I want a challenge but no modern purpose. Well Revolvers are ok for people who don't know the jam clearance drills for modern firearms I guess.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
I don't think revolvers will ever die. Last two guys I took shooting had never shot a gun in their entire lives, one was from Cuba, the other from Guatamala. I started them out with .22s and by the time we were done they both shot .44 mag and done very well. We shot ARs, Mini 14s, shotguns, pistols and revolvers. The most excited they got was when I pulled out that Super Blackhawk!
Yeah there will always be people unfamiliar with modern firearms. One of my next guns will be a matchlock or a wheel lock.

AJGUNNER

Hunter
I love taking new people out for their first round of shooting fun. I try my best to sway anti 2A's and democraps whenever I have the opportunity. Amazing how quickly some can be swayed and all seem to go home with a big smile. Same deal---start with a single shot bolt 22 and progress to 44 Redhawks and always some mini 14 shooting. I have a pair of Black plastic fantastic in 9mm, and newbie's always want to try them because they see them and hear about them more than revolvers. But for the most part they all like the single six's and redhawks.

I think if revolvers were on the way out, respected companies like Kimber wouldn’t be developing new models. Yes I know the Kimber revolver has been out for a few years, but it’s relatively new compared to Ruger or S&W.

Or look at the new Rossi revolver.

Besides who doesn’t love a good snubbie? They are ergonomically perfect.

Laserbait

Single-Sixer
I’m to old to pick up brass, so I prefer revolvers.
LOL, me too! Been my motto on here for as long as I can remember! :D When I was younger, I never thought that I would like revolvers, and semi autos were where it's at. But, the first handgun that I ever bought was a 6" GP100, and I'm still buying revolvers till this day (this afternoon, to be exact). I probably have 5 revolvers for every semi auto that I own (not counting 22's).

LOL, me too! Been my motto on here for as long as I can remember! :D When I was younger, I never thought that I would like revolvers, and semi autos were where it's at. But, the first handgun that I ever bought was a 6" GP100, and I'm still buying revolvers till this day (this afternoon, to be exact). I probably have 5 revolvers for every semi auto that I own (not counting 22's).
Along similar lines was when I was turning 18 my Dad said he would buy me my first handgun that was a new one. I picked a GP100 but mine is 4". I love the grips and the bulk make even full power .357 load very easy to handle!

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
I think we've all met folks like the one who made that comment ("revolvers are a niche with mostly collectors and diehards"), either live or on the internet. They happen to have found a type or brand of firearm that they like a lot, but for some reason, they seem to need everyone else to agree with them.

I met one of those guys on a different web site: he loves Glocks AND he's one of those folks who thinks that the 10mm Auto is the best cartridge in the universe, past, present and future. So, he's not shy about telling anyone who carries anything else for bear protection, that they're living in the Dark Ages - even folks who have lived in Alaska for 50 years or better, and know from actual experience what works for them. "Mr. 10mm Glock" is more than happy to tell 'em just how clueless they are!

And it's not just Glock guys, or 10mm guys, or 1911 guys, or Colt revolver guys, or whatever. A lot of us have strong opinions about certain subjects, and are probably way too inclined to just TELL somebody something, rather than discuss it in a way that's friendly and not offensive. (For me, it's gun control politics, having worked out in California for too many years, and also in Colorado when they passed their big ban - folks talking about some government-defined "legitimate need" to own a firearm can really set me off! I do hereby apologize to everyone on this forum!!)

Some folks like their revolvers, others like their auto pistols - buy what YOU like, if it's legal and fits your needs!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

Latest posts