Answers to a dilemma?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I am posting this here first, before I decide to list (possibly), in the classifieds...
Years ago, the gun fairy, left me this....
I have always wanted one, but resisted.... Well.... now that I have it, I find it unusable... It has a custom barrel, in 7mm IMSHA.... (not marked or stamped in any way)
(I haven't done an official chamber cast yet, but careful measuring leads me to that conclusion.. I am going to cast it soon)...
Reloading dies are going to be custom, as I have not yet found used ones available... Rebarreling would cost about the same.....
The trouble.... there is NO WAY, I will make enough $$$$, to even consider either option....
I am considering a trade or partial trade for a contender in a caliber more suited to my needs .... The pistol was going to be a "coyote", gun to carry on my snowmobile... I often see them on the river, but getting my rifle out of the case takes to long...
XP100's seem to be going for $1200 to $1500 in this category... with contenders going for in the $800+
Should I list it on GB, or similar site?? (I have NO history with either, other than calculating values)
See what I can get at a gunshop?? (I worked many years in 2 gun shops, and I know the drill!!).
List it here in the classifieds?? (no history there either)
I really want a useful firearm... This one, as much as I love the concept... just doesn't seem like it is going to happen..
Thanks for the input.....

Attachments

• xp100 2A.jpg
    xp100 2A.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 58

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
the barrel is 14 inches...... You know... I gotta dig it out an double check. It has been in storage all winter... It may be 16", but I doubt it.....
My memory fails me.....

Dan in MI

Staff member
Go to the IHMSA forum. That is your target market. Yes, I know silhouette is dying, but the guys there are familiar with the round and gun. You may be pleasantly surprised.

IHMSA forum index in link. For some reason it replaces the string with "index page" -

https: //ihmsa.org/forum/index.php?sid=89904d77dcefa4e678f52c6c3e9c56dd

If you don't trust the link remove the two spaces after HTTPS: in above and copy/paste

Last edited:

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I had its twin back in the 80’s shooting silhouette matches. Was good for that. I second the suggestion to check the IHMSA website.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
yup!! 😁 I have been on the IMSHA forum, but I haven't seen any dies for sale... And those guy's really seem to like that round, even with the added chore of making the brass. I have learned a lot about the process tho..
Plus I need to get the cerrosafe, to ensure it is what it is....
But still.. my financial situation mandates that I get some resolution without spending any money that I can't do without.. I don't even know if that is possible anymore!!
Due to a persistent issue with my back, (after two particularly grueling work seasons), has left me with fewer work options, and my income has been decreasing over the last couple years..
Most of my hunting is done incidentally.. Having a gun I can put in my parka would allow me a better chance to gather hides while going for groceries.... (y)

Dan in MI

Staff member
You can do a chamber cast with wax. You must measure it right away as after a period of time (weeks not days) It will swell or shrink, I don't remember which. here's apic of a couple of mine. A throat check for 7 Int-R (pre7x30 Waters) and a 357 maxi.
IMG_4467.JPG

Post it on their classifieds with a reasonable price (you have them from GB) with a T/C trade option of the calibers/barrel lengths you want.
Do you have a frame already? If not, you could even add an Encore to the trade bait. Same as a Contender but larger and will take larger calibers.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I was wondering if wax would work... It is a lot cheaper than buying cerrosafe, (which is $33 a pound, for something I would probably never use again....
And, I do have candle wax, as I have had to make candles in the past, when I forgot to buy kerosene for my lamps...

Latest posts