Anschutz 22 Hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I guess the "Ruger" part of this is that I have a Ruger 77HB in 22 Hornet, it's an OK rifle. Accurate enough, nice gun, but the Hornet seems like it should be in a rifle that doesn't have a laminated stock and grey finished metal. And the two piece bolt effect on accuracy puts a bit of an unknown into the equation that I'd rather not bother with. I just bought a single shot Anschutz 1700 (about $750.00) in excellent shape but - I know nothing about the darn thing.

Double set trigger, skip line checkering, slight Monte Carlo stock & a rosewood forend tip. The barrel diameter at the last inch or so at the muzzle is of a slightly larger diameter. It's marked as a "1700" but other than this being their "custom" grade rifle I can't find much on it. The Blue Book provides some model info, I know it uses the 54 action, but that's about it - the BB doesn't even list the single shot version.

Metal and wood are fine, however the front trigger guard screw is missing. And the screw that holds the receiver to the stock looks like an aftermarket, protrudes above the bottom of the stock. Am I in for aggravation finding replacement parts or are they not hard to come by? Does the front trigger guard screw do anything to anchor the action to the stock, or is it a plain "wood screw".

I don't see a Model 1700 listed in Numrich Arms - for the above parts, which model should I be looking for?

Any info helpful.

I know little or nothing about Anschutz arms except that they have a great reputation as match rifles. If you don't get answers from other posters here, I'd try the German and Austrian Firearms forum on www.doublegunshop.com/BBS or a the German Firearms Collectors' website. Or possibly the Anschutz forum on www.rimfirecentral.com, if they have one.

I find it interesting that this gun is a single shot, and that the bottom metal seems to have been tinkered with. Is it perhaps a rebarrelled gun? The larger diameter front of the barrel, if it is a factory barrel, is usually a sign that a rifle is used for match purposes (adds steadiness to the offhand hold). But a .22 Hornet match gun???? Possible, but not common, for sure. I could see one being used for practice for Running Deer competition, but I think for actual competition, you need a repeater.

Good luck on your search for parts and info; I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

Major T

Blackhawk
I have had Anschutz 54 rifles in three calibers. Two were .22 LR, which were superbly accurate. Another was a .222, which was no slouch. The .22 hornet was the most accurate of the two that I have had, but the competition was a Win. 43. I suppose you could say it was accurate, enough for a 150 yard rifle.

Why do I not still have any of them? I never learned to love the rollover comb stocks. This was the days prior to the introduction of the American classic stocks. I had envisioned them as walk about varminter, and it seems that I kind of had to wear them. Fine at the bench, but....

I have always wanted a classic stocked 54 in .22, just never got around to it. One of my Marlin Mounties and a $40 pawn shop 511 Remington are both just about as accurate as the 54s were. Really close. All with Super X ammo. I never bought match ammo for any of them.

Jack

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Mike Armstrong said:
I know little or nothing about Anschutz arms except that they have a great reputation as match rifles. If you don't get answers from other posters here, I'd try the German and Austrian Firearms forum on http://www.doublegunshop.com/BBS or a the German Firearms Collectors' website. Or possibly the Anschutz forum on http://www.rimfirecentral.com, if they have one.

I find it interesting that this gun is a single shot, and that the bottom metal seems to have been tinkered with. Is it perhaps a rebarrelled gun? The larger diameter front of the barrel, if it is a factory barrel, is usually a sign that a rifle is used for match purposes (adds steadiness to the offhand hold). But a .22 Hornet match gun???? Possible, but not common, for sure. I could see one being used for practice for Running Deer competition, but I think for actual competition, you need a repeater.

Good luck on your search for parts and info; I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

Thanks for the links. Re the bottom metal, there isn't any - trigger guard and screws, nothing else. The rifle strikes me as a varmint type rather than target and has the model number "1700" stamped on the barrel with all the other Anschutz info. The larger barrel diameter at the muzzle is fairly slight, really not enough to help with "the hang" but maybe enough to help harmonics?

I'll post info if I find it.