Another Way to Find Value?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
As mentioned in another thread, I came into possession of a fully functional Tower Of London Armories (Tower) 1840s black powder pistol in very good condition. I have been trying to determine value for some time, getting several different estimates. I thought I would try another way. Has anyone here bought- and especially SOLD one of these, or similar? I have seen asking prices of all sorts, so what really counts is what one actually sold for- either to or from you. Anyone?

wwb

Hunter
Check with PBS to see if one of their "Antiques Roadshow" episodes will be occurring in your area. They will want any information you have,as well as photos if they are really interested in a featured item. And, of course, there are all the "walk-ons", some of whom have articles of enough interest to be featured. At least you will get an appraisal, even if you're no a TV star.

RSIno1

Hunter
He keeps fishing that what he has is an original 1840s gun. Simple fact is his is a replica and was made in Japan probably in the 1980s.

Here is one that sold a few days ago on gunbroker $195.00 - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/943594166

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
Check with PBS to see if one of their "Antiques Roadshow" episodes will be occurring in your area. They will want any information you have,as well as photos if they are really interested in a featured item. And, of course, there are all the "walk-ons", some of whom have articles of enough interest to be featured. At least you will get an appraisal, even if you're no a TV star.
Well, I do have a face for radio...... I have actually gotten varying appraisals, but feel that knowing what they have actually bought and sold for would be a more solid source of value. Also, unless I know if it is real or replica, the paperwork issue comes up,

Last edited:

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
Can you post a picture of it? I’d love to see what you are talking about
I don't know. Have yet to be able to figure out how. Let me give it a shot....and....YAY! I believe the ammo bag may actually be the original, but no way to know for sure that I am aware of.

Attachments

• gun1.jpg
    gun1.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 43
  • gun2.jpg
    gun2.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Gun4.jpg
    Gun4.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 46

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
He keeps fishing that what he has is an original 1840s gun. Simple fact is his is a replica and was made in Japan probably in the 1980s.

Here is one that sold a few days ago on gunbroker $195.00 - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/943594166

I'm not fishing anything. I am only going by the information that I have found. If it really is a replica, it should not have the hallmark in front of the hammer, per other "experts", which leads me to believe it may be real. That being said, It still may have no more value than a replica. I just don't know which is why I posted this thread. I have gotten appraisals from $160 - $800 +

hittman

Staff member
There’s a wealth of knowledge here. However, your best bet is with an actual expert in antique firearms. You need to take it there or ship it to them. Not sure you’ll be satisfied with an answer unless or until you get this with someone who handles this stuff as their profession.

Personally, looks to me like a 40 to 50 year old replica and if so, you have a solid $150 wall hanger / conversation piece / family heirloom.

RSIno1

Hunter
I'm not fishing anything. I am only going by the information that I have found. If it really is a replica, it should not have the hallmark in front of the hammer, per other "experts", which leads me to believe it may be real. That being said, It still may have no more value than a replica. I just don't know which is why I posted this thread. I have gotten appraisals from $160 - $800 +
The pure and simple fact you refuse to acknowledge is that Japan was a closed country in 1840 and England was not farming gun production out to the far east. - Sakoku, Japan's long period of isolation from 1639 to 1853, kept it closed off from much of the world.

How many British proof stamps would you like to buy? https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1045/1/STAMP-GR-GP

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
There’s a wealth of knowledge here. However, your best bet is with an actual expert in antique firearms. You need to take it there or ship it to them. Not sure you’ll be satisfied with an answer unless or until you get this with someone who handles this stuff as their profession.

Personally, looks to me like a 40 to 50 year old replica and if so, you have a solid $150 wall hanger / conversation piece / family heirloom.
Well, if it is, then I would require paperwork to sell it. It was a found item, so there is no way to trace ownership. My local cops are not exactly brain surgeons when it comes to firearms law from what I have seen, so it will be difficult to figure out how to do what would be needed. Suggestion?

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
The pure and simple fact you refuse to acknowledge is that Japan was a closed country in 1840 and England was not farming gun production out to the far east. - Sakoku, Japan's long period of isolation from 1639 to 1853, kept it closed off from much of the world.

How many British proof stamps would you like to buy? https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1045/1/STAMP-GR-GP
I'm eastern trained with some knowledge of the culture, though admittedly more about Okanawa than Japan. However, despite what you say, which is absolutely true, there was plenty of undergtound trade going on- especially if it was a benefit to Japan. They make the barrels ( or maybe just tubes to be refined later) and get not only paid, but firearms technology. I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying that there is a possibility either way, and I need a hands on expert to be sure.

eveled

Hunter
Well, if it is, then I would require paperwork to sell it. It was a found item, so there is no way to trace ownership. My local cops are not exactly brain surgeons when it comes to firearms law from what I have seen, so it will be difficult to figure out how to do what would be needed. Suggestion?
On a federal level it is not a firearm. No matter how old it is.

Don’t take my word for it, do your own research. You will find muzzle loaders and cap and ball revolvers do not need to be transferred registered or go through an ffl so no paperwork. If you are outside of the US disregard everything I said.

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS!

My opinion there is no way that pistol is from the 1840’s

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
muzzle loaders and cap and ball revolvers do not need to be transferred registered or go through an ffl.
In MOST places but I believe there are exceptions to that; on a local, municipal, county or state level.
This is where “check your local laws” comes into play.

eveled

Hunter
Thanks. Thats why I specified on a federal level.

I edited my post to reflect that.

eveled

Hunter
I like @wwb ‘s idea PBS antiques roadshow to get info. I would love to see that episode.

Last edited:

Latest posts